Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

After subscribing to this web site for several years, I still haven't got my feet wet. Seems like there is much to learn. I'll get into LR shooting class for certain. Mean while, I'm contemplating about having a rifle built. This will be dedicated for learning purpose. I've narrowed my cartridge choice to either 6mm br, or 6mm SLR. I would like to spot my shots, and don't mind a muzzle brake. The rifle should be fairly portable, so I have a goal set for 13lbs-14lbs gun, ready to shoot but without bipod. I'd like to shoot up to 1km. I'd also prefer a cartridge that will allow barrel to last up to 3,000 rounds with very good hunting accuracy. This will not be a competition gun, so I'll shoot slow. What would you guys recommend?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

I won't comment on your choice of calibers since you seem to have your mind made up already, although I think there are much better choices for your needs.

First question is will this rifle be a single shot? BDL? Or fed from some type of Mag? The 6mmBR is known for having feeding issues in a repeater.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

If this is your first, no wildcats. Stay with the BR. It will drive 105/108 at 2850.

As for the initial feeding issues, competant gunsmiths solved those long time ago.

Another great "learning caliber" is the 308 with the 175, 178 or 180s.

Both are easy to reload and shoot accurately.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor73402 View Post
First question is will this rifle be a single shot? BDL? Or fed from some type of Mag? The 6mmBR is known for having feeding issues in a repeater.
Thanks trevor for you kind advice. Actually my mind is not made up yet. Any comment is sincerely appreciated. Thank you for bringing up the feeding issue of 6mmbr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
If this is your first, no wildcats. Stay with the BR. It will drive 105/108 at 2850.

As for the initial feeding issues, competant gunsmiths solved those long time ago.

Thanks BountyHunter. I have a 280 improve from Jarrett, but I use Nosler cases exclusively. As I under stand, the 6mm SLR needs only a single pass with FL sizing die to form the case from a .243 win case. This new rifle I'm thinking about will be used strictly for learning, and will not be used for hunting. I'm considering some thing light so i can learn to spot my shots. As I've stated, I'll get definite get into a LR shooting class.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post

1+

The 308 is the standard "learning caliber" but the BR is a great one also. With a good chart and a calm day it can do more than most would think.

Mine is a no neck turn and shoots 107's @ 2850 fps. It's a tack driver and does well at 1K. I've even played around shooting it at 1250.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

I can give you some really good advice that comes from having a 6BR, 6BRX and .20BR ......all repeaters

A 6BR would be an awesome choice, but it really boils down to if you want a repeater or not. You can get the 6BR to feed fairly reliable, but you will still have some issues now and then.....especially if you get into tactical type matches or just fun matches where you may want/need to cycle rounds quickly....which by the way....you can do with single shots as well with practice.

I am currently gathering parts for a 6SLR build. So, although I haven't even been around an SLR, I'm a litte biased. YOU SHOULD GO WITH THE SLR
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all kind comments. I never failed to get help from this board.
BTW since this will be a learning rifle, I'd like a repeater, yet I'll not fire rapidly. So, feeding may be OK, and I don't to toast the throat.