Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

6.5x284 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 AM

Re: 6.5x284 questions

another question, why are all these 6.5 bullets in this thread actually measuring 6.7mm in every bit of data I find?

Are there any true 6.5's?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuclehead View Post
another question, why are all these 6.5 bullets in this thread actually measuring 6.7mm in every bit of data I find?

Are there any true 6.5's?
I think the caliber nomenclature may have to do with the rifle bore dimension land ro land as opposed to the bullet size. The .308 is a 7.82 vs 7.62 as well. Referring to your prior post using your motorcycle analogy, I've also been addicted to them for years. I replaced my Thruxton a while back with a Street Triple(Triumphs) and never looked back. While the older designs have charisma, technology sure does make a difference!

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

The 6.5x55 is showing lower velocity than some of the smaller cased short action 6.5's because SAAMI holds it to a much lower pressure limit. You will find that to be true of all of the old mauser cartridges. The old mausers used the lower pressures and 29" barrels to acheive the performance that made the 6.5x55's legend.

If loaded to the same pressures in a modern action, the Swede will outperform the smaller cased 6.5's because it has more powder capacity.

Here is an example of loading data for the 6.5x55 in a modern action, 26" barrel:

http://http://www.lapua.com/en/produ.../relodata/5/98

Compare the 139g Scenar data to the 6.5 Creedmore Hornady factory 140 AMAX load @ 2710 and you will see what I mean.

When you compare modern data for the 6.5x55 to the lower spec data common in the U.S. (because it is written for the weaker small ring mausers), you will see larger charges of slower powder and longer cartridge OAL's in the modern data.

The AI version of the Swede reportedly narrows the gap between the 6.5x55 and the 6.5-284 considerably.

Where the old Swede mausers are concerned, they are sweet little rifles. Their performance is limited, though, both because of their metallurgy and because they use weaker small ring actions. In reality, the milsurp Swedes won't save you any money because they will require a lot of work to make them into useful sporter rifles. Still, if you have a soft spot for the old mausers, as I do, you will no doubt enjoy owning and shooting them.

If, however, you are looking for a max effort 6.5x55, you need to at least look to the '98 pattern mauser as a basis for your build. A newer manufacture commercial mauser action is a better option still because you get better steel and the action is already in sporter configuration. Of course, using more modern action designs like a Savage or a Remington would probably be considered by most folks to be the best way to go.

FWIW, I have two 6.5x55's, one on a 98/22 mauser action and one on a newer Zastava commercial mauser action. I also have a 6.5-284 Norma built on a Ruger 77 Mk II action and a new production Winchester Model 70 in .264 Winchester Magnum.

They are great rifles. I love my 6.5's!

Last edited by benchracer; 11-26-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM

greywolf,

Those triple motors are just the best for real world riding aren't they.

I measured a 6.5 swede today and it didn't jive with any numbers I've seen online.

It really is annoying how much variance there is in this field. I can see that it takes a while to accumulate a correct mental picture of what each cartridge is in context to others. If the automotive industry worked the same way damn near every model would be like a custom home built.

It would be nice if the industry started with a clean slate and had say 10 cartridges each X grains more than the last in with the same diameter and then mated each to bullets in .5 mm increments. Likely there would have to be a small cartridge series as well with less variation. All in all it could work but as long as all there are all the present rifles around it wouldn't happen.

I like the streamlining idea. The big companies could do it easily enough if they got together on it. The japanese did with their cars.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM

I can't access that page but obviously if the swede is bigger it could be loaded up a bit more.

I have yet to find a new rifle in the gun shop that is as smooth as an old swede. The new technology and QC on hole has so much more potential today but labour costs really kybosh so much potential. Don't get me wrong the workers deserve the cash but so much fine machining just doesn't get done as much.

The best action I felt from a new rifle has been a mauser action ruger, m77 I think. I was impressed enough to keep in on my list of possibles. The remington's seemed shockingly poor. I read so many accolades about them but when i cycled one I thought... what a POS.

The mauser style actions are great but due to cost vs function I think the savage is the winning formula to start with.

If I wanted to make a 20" tacticool rifle, how would I or could I keep the velocity up like longer barrels? Can faster burning powders be used or does that just make the accuracy go funny?