Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

6.5wsm vs 325wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Writers Guild

Re: 6.5wsm vs 325wsm

I lean toward the 6.5 because they just fly so nice. At the WSM velocities, look out. If concerned about penetration at elevated velocities, just change the bullet.

Match or poly tips for deer, premiums for elk if that concerns you.

Ric, saw your 7WSM post. Very impressive indeed. I am also having a love affair with the 162gr Amax. Out of my two 7RM's they are shooting a bit flatter. Maybe the northern air works better.

I am certainly having a hard time launching expensive 30cals after seeing what this amax does at LR. For light game, this should be an ideal bullet at extended distances too.

I am having success with Re25 in my 7RM. Not sure if that would be a good mix in the WSM case but worth a try. I would have thought h4831 a bit fast for the 7mm heavies. I guess not.

good stuff...

Jerry
Old 09-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Sierra22,
I laughed so hard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] when i read your study of swimming dear that i fell of my chair [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] but as i was lying on the floor i remembered a debate titled "When does an Elk become a Moose"? The answer was when it crosses the Atlantic.

That fogged in peat covered rock you refer to is Scotland, i live in beutifull green England, They still paint their faces blue and run around in skirts up there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The Moose and the European Elk carry the same scientific name alces alces although the North American Elk or Moose also carries the name alces machlis americanus and the European Elk cervus alces. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
both are described as being the largest of the dear family with flowing palmated antlers.

To confuse things even more the Elk as our American friends know it carries the same scientific name as our "native to Britain" Red dear, cervus elaphus [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but we clearly see by photographic evidence that there is a definate difference.
The Wapiti which is usually called the Elk also has a different scientific name cervus canadiensis. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

It seems to me that cervus elaphus scotia would become cervus elaphus norwegis when it reached your shores, before it became cervus atlanticus on emerging in the americas.
Anyway can we claim them all as european before they all started taking swimming lessons [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

PS. Ooh and appologies for the a slight hi-jacking of this thread
Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

CP

Your saying there's actually more to Britain than peat, fog, rain and the inevitable soggy boots? I don't know if I really believe that... But then again, I'm surprised Brits as a race hasn't been wiped out by trenchfoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, been stalking in Scotland last 10 yrs maybe it's time for me to see a bit more than forests and heather hills. If you have access to stalking and wellies, you're certainly living on a superb piece of land.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

sierra22,
Thanks for the praise, from what i have seen in the media, you too have a beautifull country.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"