Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

50 BMG

I just bought a Armalite AR 50. I was hoping to get some info about long range shooting with the 50 but nobody seams to be talking about the 50.
Is the 50 not a good choice for long range shooting. Don't hold back with your opinions I'm verey intrested in the facts about this cartige.
Thanks
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 50 BMG

"Is the 50 not a good choice for long range shooting" very funny. The 50 is a great choice for long range given it is accurate and you can handle it. I don't think alot of people talk about it because it's not much of a hunting round. Don't get me wrong, you hit anything and you and it will know. Also in some states there is weight limits that you normally can't get the 50 to fit into. When I say it's not much of a hunting round I mean that it's not what you're normal hunting rifle chambered in. If you dont have to pack it anywhere or if where you're hunting dosen't have any weight restrictions for rifle weight you picked up an awesome cartridge. Have fun putting over 200 grains of powder in each shell. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I do alot of 50 cal shooting and have for about the last 10 years. IF you have any questions feel free to drop me an e-mail any time. If I do not have the answers I have alot of contacts that I am sure we can find the answers to your questions from.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I just shot my first 50 BMG this weekend. What a Blast! I was really surprised how accurate it was even with surplus ball ammo. The recoil was not even an issue. Everything was huge about it. It had a tank style brake on it and it alone looked to weigh almost 10 pounds. The barrel was at least 1 1/2" with no taper and some fluting on it. It was a single shot bolt deal on an AR receiver.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
What a Blast!

[/ QUOTE ]

No pun intended I am sure!!

I am sure it was a blast. I have yet to shoot one but someday................
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

Kirby do you have a Mach V ?