Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

338 EDGE - What is needed/recommended

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM

338 EDGE - What is needed/recommended

Hi everybody I have been living on the fringe for quite some while and am excited to build my first long range gun.

My wife is getting me a 700 action for christmas. Actually she bought me a .300 ultra mag with the intention of me turning it into a .338 edge. I have talked with Kirby a little and have alot more questions.

After all the reading here I think I want to go with either Kirby or Shawn to do my build. I hunt both the high country of the Cascades and also walk in hunting. I am wanting to build a rifle I can pack all day.

What are all the components and services that are a neccesity in building a 1/2 moa gun? Here is what I have gathered:

~ Start with a 700 action.
~ Fully accurize the action (am not sure what all is involved).
~ Lilja or Hart barrel w/defensive edge brake.
~ McMillan or HS precision stock (suggestions), bed to the contour.
~ Stock trigger modified to 2 lbs.
~ Have both the barrel and bolt fluted for weight.
~ Scope? Open for suggestions. (Leupold, IOR, Nightforce) what will stand up to the muzzle brake. Dont like the Nightforce pricetag.

What should I let my local smith do and what should I leave for Kirby/Shawn?

All help will be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

G'day mate !

I think I just had Shawn build me a gun that sounds real similar to what you are descibing. There are pics via the "gun pictures" on the forums prompt. This is one hell of a gun. .6 group at 300 yards with 3 x 300 smks. That will satisfy me everyday.

As far as using multiple smiths I would personally not go that way. I you use one guy, he is completely responsible for the gun in everyway. Then they can't blame each other if she wont shoot !

You will find both Kirby and Shawn extremely good the deal with and I think really well priced considering what they will GUARANTEE the gun will shoot.

I wanted a gun that I could pack all day and still look at home in a hunting picture. Alot of guns look more like a sniper system, which I did not want to go with. I basically had every component you spoke of plus ext mag, aci, anti cant. My gun weighs 11.9 lbs without s series bipod.

Send me a PM if you need more info

Cheers
DUH
Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhelps View Post
Hi everybody I have been living on the fringe for quite some while and am excited to build my first long range gun.

My wife is getting me a 700 action for christmas. Actually she bought me a .300 ultra mag with the intention of me turning it into a .338 edge. I have talked with Kirby a little and have alot more questions.

After all the reading here I think I want to go with either Kirby or Shawn to do my build. I hunt both the high country of the Cascades and also walk in hunting. I am wanting to build a rifle I can pack all day.

What are all the components and services that are a neccesity in building a 1/2 moa gun? Here is what I have gathered:

~ Start with a 700 action.
~ Fully accurize the action (am not sure what all is involved).
~ Lilja or Hart barrel w/defensive edge brake.
~ McMillan or HS precision stock (suggestions), bed to the contour.
~ Stock trigger modified to 2 lbs.
~ Have both the barrel and bolt fluted for weight.
~ Scope? Open for suggestions. (Leupold, IOR, Nightforce) what will stand up to the muzzle brake. Dont like the Nightforce pricetag.

What should I let my local smith do and what should I leave for Kirby/Shawn?

All help will be appreciated.

Looks like you have everything you need listed. As far as what I would let Kirby or Shawn do? ALL OF IT!

The pricetag is the only thing you won't like about a Nightforce.

One thing that is discussed here a lot, is whether to start with a Remington 700 action and have it trued, or get a custom that doesn't need the work. I think that most on here would say its better spent money to buy the custom and save the gunsmithing $'s, as you'll have better resale on the custom if you ever decide to sell it. (the $'s are almost equal, and in some cases favor the custom action).

Good luck and keep us informed.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Looks like you’re on the right track… If it was mine I would go with an after market trigger, I used to be a diehard Leupold fan but after my first Nightforce I can say that’s changed. I have two now will be getting a third one

As far as my local smith’s!!!! Well I let them look at it when it was all done so they could see how a real gun smith does it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Sponsor

J,

I believe your headed down the right road, parts wise. Most custom smiths won't do "part of a project". I would suggest haveing th ewhole project done by one person for the reasons above. The only other thing is the glass. I would give some serious though to getting the Nightforce, if you do you will wonder why you never had one before.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

As far as my local smith’s!!!! Well I let them look at it when it was all done so they could see how a real gun smith does it.

that's funny!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Every thing you got listed but i dont like the Nightforce scope i know i'm one of the only ones but i will stay with my Leupolds, and no price is not the problem, my Schmitt and Bender is a better scope then the Nightforce. but thats my oppinion if you decide on the Nightforce good if not good i have a super sniper on my .22-6mm AI i just built.

NRA Life Member.

The only thing common about common sense is it ain't that common.