Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

338/378 Vs 338LUPRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338/378 Vs 338LUPRA

The very thought of trucking my ar30 thru the woods and over the hills makes me hurt! It's pretty much a bench only gun, unless you enjoy cruel and unusual punishment. Every surface on the gun has a sharp edge or protrusion that will tear your back up. If I were going to carry a rifle for big game I would drop the cash for a sako TRG42 in 338LM. If you're on a budget sako makes a few hunting rifles in 338LM for about the same money as the AR30. Nothing wrong with the ruger, just not sure I want to take a chance on the one. I've been bitten by a bad rifle in the past, and they made no attempt to fix it when it was sent back to them. The barrel is 48 moa out of true (down)when sent for evaluation to my local gunsmith. Not that all their rifles are like that, I was just"lucky". Most everything with the sako name on it is of the best quality for the price. Be sure to think about lugging that gi-normous boomstick thru the woods before you buy a 16 lb rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

My partner is packing a .50 BMG. Can't remember what make it is, has a laminated wooden stock, and is twice as heavy as the AR-30. We're old men, so we don't pack them anymore. We ride either a track rig, 4-wheeler, swamp buggy, or snow machine. Mostly the snow machine and 4-wheeler. We got cases just for them on the back or in our trailers or sleds. Weight is not a problem. I'm loosing the energy out past 700 yards to kill a wolf with my 06, and the .338 Win Mag is loosing too much to kill a Moose or bear at that range. As for wolves with the same gun? Yes if I can hit and kill a wolf everyshot I feel I then can hit a Moose, Caribou, or Black Bear. People down south use cayotes to prove their equipment, we use wolves. Cayotes are scarce here,Wolves eat them.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Bounty,
Can your fire regular 338 LM rounds in the AI version? If so, are either velocity or accuracy of the regular LM round affected?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Firing the stock dimension rounds in an AI chamber fire forms the brass to AI spec, accuracy on most AI's is the same as far as I can tell. Last hunting trip one of the guys was forming all his brass in his 243 AI.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com