Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

.300wby vangaurd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

.300wby vangaurd

Hello all, This is my first post on this forum. I have never hunted anything larger than white tail in southern michigan ( a shotgun only zone ) so I have little experience with rifles I shoot very regularly mostly clays and handguns. My dad, brother and I are planning a elk trip to Idaho next year and I am looking for a rifle. After doing alot of surfing on ballistics and cost I have come to like the .300 wby in the vanguard sub moa with a accubrake. Is it worth the extra money to buy the sub moa model ? I wont have much extra money after I get the rifle and scope which I am looking at a leupold vx-3 6.5 - 20. I want to know if this is a capable long range gun? I will be purchasing this just after the first of the year and will shoot 1 night a week until we go in october. I am concearned in that this will most likely be my one chance at going on a elk trip so if I have to make a 5 to 6 hundred yard shot I want a sufficiant rifle thanks all.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
Hello all, This is my first post on this forum. I have never hunted anything larger than white tail in southern michigan ( a shotgun only zone ) so I have little experience with rifles I shoot very regularly mostly clays and handguns. My dad, brother and I are planning a elk trip to Idaho next year and I am looking for a rifle. After doing alot of surfing on ballistics and cost I have come to like the .300 wby in the vanguard sub moa with a accubrake. Is it worth the extra money to buy the sub moa model ? I wont have much extra money after I get the rifle and scope which I am looking at a leupold vx-3 6.5 - 20. I want to know if this is a capable long range gun? I will be purchasing this just after the first of the year and will shoot 1 night a week until we go in october. I am concearned in that this will most likely be my one chance at going on a elk trip so if I have to make a 5 to 6 hundred yard shot I want a sufficiant rifle thanks all.

I can tell you first hand that myself and 3 other friends bought the 300 vanguard in the std, not sub moa and they all shoot like a house on fire.

My rifle is the stainless, synthetic stock and routinely shoots sub .5 moa with a compressed load of h 1000, fed 215 primer and 168 tsx barnes. I have successfully shot large game out to 500 yards with devastating effect.

I don't know anybody who owns one that was unsatisfied with the way it shot out of the box.

I think they are a great rifle for the money.

Good luck !
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 AM

I would get the sub moa.I like the stock alot better and the way it looks.I have a ss vanguard in 270wsm and it shoots great but I dont like the stock.