Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

300 win mag ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 win mag ammo?

Just for reference. I found a couple of truths with the 300WM. My ruger is picky. Tried many brands off the shelf, when ever there was a sale, I'd get a couple of boxes to try. Best I could do was 4" groups at 200yds.

At the time I could find 20rds for $12-14 on sale, for junk ammo that shot 6" groups at 200yds. I bought the Lee kit back then. I could load Barnes, on good powder, and fresh primers, on the brass I'd accumulated for less than $14/box, and shoot 1" groups or less at 200yds.

This is all before I joined this site. Now there are quite a few new things I've learned, here that I need to go back and re-do my testing, etc. maybe there is even more accuracy in my picky ruger.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

No problem. I'm on this sight a lot, so when you are ready to roll drop me a pm.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

I'm very new to this site but do find the content very worthwhile. I noticed this thread and wanted to resurrect it for my own gain. I enjoy reloading and have done so for a little over a year. I mostly target shoot 200-800 yards, hunting is next. Being accurate at range is where my brother and I have fun, so it's highly important to me to be accurate. I don't like to always buy the beer after a day at the range. Mixing and matching brass, bullets and powder till I come up with something consistent and reproducible is where I aim to be. I've always shot 308 and have it pretty dialed for my 700 and AR10 Platforms, but it's this new 700 chambered in 300 WM that is driving me crazy. I should preface by saying I'm about as impatient as they come and have probably been having fun with my 308's due to sheer luck and finding known good recipes out there. I do take care in building the ammo once I go down that road so I do take a little credit for my accuracy when I find a happy load.

I'm looking for a better starting point on my 300 WMs because where I started is not getting me consistent. I've only been using 190Gr SMK's with either IMR4831, H4350. So far both of my 300WM shooters have been at best inconsistent. Sometimes it will group sub MOA, then it opens way up, all in the same batch of 10 rounds. I use a digital scale and every load is exactly like the first for that batch. I try to remove as many variables as possible. I have to believe these are better than any factory load with the care I put into case prep, bullet quality and powder consistency.

The rifles I have are an XCR Tactical Remington 700 with a 26" barrel as well as Remington's MilSpec 5R barreled 700 also with a 26" barrel. Both have 1:10 twist. I expected both to be tack drivers but to date I'm just frustrated. I completely understand there is no "secret" recipe but I'm looking for someone who maybe has similar rifles and has found something they really like I may be able to investigate. I would very much like to plagiarize the formula! From there I can spend some time developing more exactly for my rifles. Any information would be greatly appreciate
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't tried these. But, they might be worth a shot....

Products

Bryan Litz is highly respected here. Just google his name and see.

His ammo should be as good as any beginning handloader could produce. The question is simply whether it agrees with your rifle. And, whether it fits your application.

-- richard