Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .300 Savage Build (Need Help)

I agree on the savage barrel question. they are very often quite accurate.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Bronze Member

Bob, while looking at the Manners stocks, I'm looking at the hunting stocks. Are they bedded or do you bed them yourself. I bedded my 700 so I'm familiar with it. I used devcon to bed my 700, that stuff is expensive! Any other putty I can use other than devcon?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Bronze Member

you can tell I have too much time on my hands right this second. It would be good to ask yourself how much you want to get into. Its so much fun that its addicting to mess with barrels and stocks and triggers. But if you are not going to do more than one- just as well pay a gunsmith to headspace a barrel. But if you plan on easing into this. get a barrel vise, a savage barrel wrench, perhaps an action wrench. These are all available at Midway, Brownells and other places. There are utube videos of headspacing I believe and I know I have seen excellent explanations on other forums and perhaps here. Essentially you dismount the old barrel by looseing the "jam"nut using the wrench. you reverse the process by screwing a new barrel into place to the spot where you feel the go guage against the bolt when you close it, but you can close it. You tighten to that spot and check that the bolt wont close with the no go guage. These guages are available from pacific tool and gauge, or again midway, forester, clymer and perhaps other places. they cost about 30$ each, or 60 or so a set. And you buy the set for the calibers you will be headspacing, or perhaps share some guages with others who are suffering from the same foolishness.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth85 View Post
Bob, while looking at the Manners stocks, I'm looking at the hunting stocks. Are they bedded or do you bed them yourself. I bedded my 700 so I'm familiar with it. I used devcon to bed my 700, that stuff is expensive! Any other putty I can use other than devcon?
I use devcon right now myself, but I have used with excellent results the ScoreHigh bedding kits. I am not sure about difference in cost. The manners come with a bedding block and you can buy them with pre glued pillars. Then bed to that complex. They will of course do it for you. I think you would really like dealing with the guys at Manners. They have a good website too for exploring what they have. I will tell you I have to leave for a trip, I will check this thread when I have a chance- i will be interested to see what other advice comes in on some of these questions. you can of course pm me if that is helpful at some point. I wont be ignoring this thread, just unavailable till about Saturday.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Bronze Member

Ok, Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have somemore questions by then.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

You asked about tools and which scope mount.

A go-gauge looks like a stainless steel cartridge (with no neck) that is made to the standard chamber dimensions. It will chamber in a properly head=spaced firearm. A no-go gauge looks the same, but is longer, so it won't chamber in a properly head-spaced firearm. You don't really need a no-go gauge to install a barrel, as long as you have a go-gauge. You can put a piece of scotch tape on the head of the go-gauge and it should be really tight to close. It shouldn't chamber with 2 pieces of scotch tape on the head. Just a cheaper way to do the same thing as having both gauges.

Get a Barrel nut wrench and an action wrench to swap the barrels.

Scope mounts.:

I have a Savage in 338Edge that wears a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NXS scope. I use a DedNutz one piece mount and it works great, only $55 or so and is lightweight. Here is a picture.

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

Ok AJ, Thanks man. Ya'll have been alot of help, and quick to respond. I really appreciate that.

I looked at the Manner stocks and they are a bit expensive. I have no problem paying for them, but if there is something that is compareable for a better price I'd like to maybe go that route. I saw the b&c stocks but this 111 model has the hinged floorplate, and I didn't see one that fit for a hinged floorplate. Anyways, any suggestions would be great.