Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Bronze Member

.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

I've been lurking for a while, but have finally decided what to build... I think.

I found @ Dick's a Savage 111 .300win for $350. No Accustock, No Accutrigger and hinged floorplate.

I want to take that rifle and build a sure enough shooter out of it. My plans are to put a pac-nor barrel, not sure what # yet though. I will be hunting with this, Whitetail and hopefully elk in the next year or two. What # is a good accurate light to medium weight barrel?

And a Rifle Basix trigger, whatever ya'll suggest. And I've noticed a little trouble finding a stock for the 111 Long Action? Any suggestions?

I am and experienced hunter and shooter. But I also plan to load my own bullets with some help from my uncle who is a pro at it. Thanks ahead of time and have mercy, I've never built a rifle before.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .300 Savage Build (Need Help)

what ever else you accomplish, enjoy what you are doing. I see in the question that you mention a 300Sav and then the 300 win. I am sure you must be thinking 300win as the caliber?
The barrel choices are so many. I have used lots and very often now days I get the brand that is available the soonest. I have had excellent results in both competition builds and long range hunting builds with Mcgowen precision. And I can ususally get a barrel in about a month or so. I have found the contour pages help with the weight- kind of figure how much weight you are willing to carry. You will already know that more weight helps to dampen recoil. I have had excellent results with the rifle basix trigger and also really like the Sharp Shooter Supply trigger.
Have you looked at stocks from Stockys Stocks. He very often has a good selection on hand from HS Precision, Bell and Carlson and others. I have often been able to get one from them in a couple of days. I have recently had an excellent stock delivered by Idaho Armory- more a prone type stock. pretty heavy but they make one for Savage actions. It is machined from aluminum and has a variety of interchangeable parts. I am setting mine up for f class but, in the back of my mind, it will shoot some antelope next fall as well. Might not be a carry gun stock, or not a carry very far stock but I love mine and it was less than a week to delivery.
Again, enjoy the process, and enjoy the learning too! great guys on this forum who will give better advice than me..
Old 12-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .300 win Build (Need Help)

I should have clarified, it's a .300win build on a Savage Action. I am looking for a pre threaded barrel so the cost is less when having someone put it on and headspace it for me. Does McGowan Make pre threads?

If I were to do it myself, how hard is it to install a pre threaded barrel on a savage action... OR actually how hard is headspacing it?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .300 win Build (Need Help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth85 View Post
I should have clarified, it's a .300win build on a Savage Action. I am looking for a pre threaded barrel so the cost is less when having someone put it on and headspace it for me. Does McGowan Make pre threads?

If I were to do it myself, how hard is it to install a pre threaded barrel on a savage action... OR actually how hard is headspacing it?
Easy Easy Easy.
Fun. Fun. Fun.

Get a few tools (that will last forever) and you'll be set for any barrel swap you ever intend to do.

Also, Don't sell the stock barrel short. Most Savage barrels will shoot just fine if you reload for them.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

Yes McGowen does make dropins for Savage actions. You can even have a very nice muzzle brake installed by them at the same time. I would mention that I have often been able to buy a Kreiger from stock at Brunos in Phoenix. They are always a heavy contour, but sometimes a med or light palma contour is appropriate for a long range rifle build. Its always worth checking if you are in a hurry. The same is true of Sinclair International- they stock some Krieger barrels- again target type contours. Of course Midway USA stocks some barrels as well, or used to. I have not looked there for some time. Another thought on a stock, I recently had a couple of my rifles equipped with a Manners composite stock. I think I saw somewhere that someone was keeping some on hand. They make an excellent, light stock for long range/prone , hunting and shooting.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

I've heard alot about how accurate the Savage barrels are. I own a 110 .243 and it shoots great. Should I wait on buying a barrel and just buy the stock, trigger and scope?

AJ, What tools do I need? What is a "go, no go tool"?

Also, what is a good scope mount for a Savage
(Picatinny). Scope will be a NF and I plan on shooting to 1000yds, and 100yds.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Bob. I'll look into the MAnners stocks for sure