Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

.300 RUM kicks like a mule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member
Re: .300 RUM kicks like a mule

I am very familiar with the Answer brake.
They are IMO the best in looks and recoil reduction.

We install brakes, we call em HD Brakes. They are identicle to the Answer brake. The guy who made brakes for Answer split off from Answer and bought part of the company. He did not get the rights to use the name, however the brake design was good to go for use.
Anyways, we install them under the name of the HDR Brake. They may well be available in Brownell's soon.
H.D. Rifles

Unread 10-14-2004, 02:20 PM

thx alot EZY. Do they make it different colours? so i could match the barrels color?
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:26 PM

oj and btw, you live in central oregon,, so you're not close to Eugene then huh?Any chances you still know a guy named Patrick Wolf?
Unread 10-15-2004, 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will probably go with the Holland brake since it is within my home state. Does anyone know what they charge and do they install them?
Unread 10-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

According to their web site: "Muzzle brake installed" $150.00

Brake alone about $95, depending on size and finish.
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Bronze Member

i was hearing horror stories regarding the RUM's before i got my 338 RUM. on my maiden voyage to the range, i brought a padded mitten and a neoprene life jacket just in case it kicked like a mule. as i was setting up, a fellow shooter drove up and proceeded to tell me about a friend of his that got a 300 RUM and with the first shot, he got scoped, same with the second. the third shot, knocked him off his chair [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] he then sticks around to see if i get a dummy mark on my forehead. so i suck the rifle tight into my shoulder sans any padding and squeezed the trigger. i was surprised when the rifle fired. the recoil really wasn't that bad. i proceeded to break-in the barrel with 30 rounds of 225 gr near max loads. one shot did sting a bit because the buttstock was more on my bicep then my shoulder. i guess the moral is to hold the rifle tight to ones shoulder.
Unread 10-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Went through about the same experience as EZ only with a 338 Win in REM 700 BDL.

The thing was stock factory except for decelerator recoil pad.

Loaded two rounds just to shoot the thing and determine which powder I wanted to start with.

Shot offhand thru the chrono, at a pretty steep down angle. Next thing I saw was blue sky then 2790 fps fr the 225 Hor Interlock.

Then went to the bench. First shot, darn that kinda hurt [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Second shot [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I was doing something similar to a rain dance or maybe a the old winged ostrich dance around the bench.

Had to shoot the 3rd shot, gotta have that 3 shot group. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Not a good idea. Took a week for the soreness to go away.

Went for the advice of shootin' pal who shoot nothing smaller than a 338 Win. Did several layers of foam rubber. Cumbersome.

Added a little better than a pound of weight. Some in fore arm some in butt stock. The rifle now goes just over 10 lbs.

All problems have gone away and have not introducted any new ones by adding a break, which was a serious consideration.

BTW this is my first experience with anything bigger than 270/06 for anything serious.

Off the bench or in the field she's a keeper.

Just my opinion.....
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!