Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Bronze Member

300 RUM

I have a remington 700 in 300 win mag, I just got a 300 RUM sendero barrel and was wanting to swap it over. someone said the magazine box would have to be changed over, is there anything else I would need to do to this thing after that? Im just trying to figure out my costs before I do it.

Merry Christmas

Will
Old 12-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM

pythonwill,

Well howdy!

Ya gotta be nuts..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Me too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What's in our knoggins that causes us to do such things. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm swaping a 338 Win for a 338 RUM. The win is a real shooter, I mean a Real shooter. But I guess it ain't sexy enough. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

There may/will be a little touch up of the rails necessasry due to the larger front end of the RUM case. But then again maybe not. I've been messing with empty RUM cases in the action. They feed ok except they won't go far enough into the Win chamber to really tell. Best ask a gunsmith.

Also I think that the rail part of the project would be one of the lower cost tasks.

We'll see how this little project goes. Keep us posted on your results. Should be interesting.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:12 AM

I did just what you're wanting to do and the feed rails will need a little massaging. Actually had 2 done, one by Mike Bryant and the other by Chris Matthews, the latter was a 7 Rem Mag. Both feed flawlessly.
With a 300 RUM mag box and the feed rails modified you'll have no problems, you might have to have the upper rear portion of the ejection port beveled slightly also to ensure proper ejection.
Email Chris, he'll set you up.
longshotrifles@yahoo.com
Merry Christmas to you to.
Wayne aka WAMBO
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

thanks guys
I guess I have been told im kinda nuts before, but WTH. I dont really have any problem with recoil. im 6'4" 320lbs, I think I can handle it ok [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The main thing I was ondering about was if I got started on it then find out there is major work to do. Im a single dad and dont really have the extra $$ to dish out on toys for "me" this is kind of a xmas present to myself though.

Will