Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

300 Mag. v 7mm Mag. v .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM

300 Mag. v 7mm Mag. v .308

I am currently interested in "custom building" a long range hunting rifle able to cleanly take down game ranging from javelina all the way up to elk. I want the gun to be accurate and retain enough impact velocity at distances all the way up to 1,000 yds to deliver a clean kill. I have been researching different calibers, ballistics tables, etc. and believe to have narrowed it down to these three calibers: .300 Mag, 7mm Mag, and .308 I live in Arizona and most often hunt javelina, whitetail and mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep and bear and want a gun that can essentially be used to hunt all these animals. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

well .308 is out for elk and muleys.It wouldn't have enough energy at 1000 yds .I hunt with a 7rm and have taken everything up to bear all drt but I wouldn't push that to 1000 yds on anything I think the .300 is the minimum with .338 win mag up being more Ideal.I don't personally hunt at those distances being in nc .Hope this helps ,you are on a great site though and hopefully Len or Jerry will chime in .I know Jerry shoots a 7 rm so he can tell you better .It really depends on alot of things though .I always say shoot the biggest caliber you are comfortable with .If I can help anymore let me know.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

yep. 308 is out. Great cartridge, and very accurate, but not enough energy for elk anywhere near 1K. 300 RUM with some larger (like 210 grain) bullets could get you there. In 7mm, maybe a 7mm RUM or STW could with some 180 VLD's or 200 grain ULD's. Actually, the 7mm AM with the 200 grain Wildcat ULD's would be right in your wheelhouse. You'd still have PLENTY of power at 1000 yards for an elk with that cartridge. But, just having the power doesn't make it happen. You still have to have a rifle, and a driver behind it , capable of those kind of distances.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

A 7mm Mag with a high BC bullets will get the job done so will a 300win mag at 1000 yards on Elk. A 308 is running out of gas that far out. I think picking between the 7mm and the 300win is a personal choice.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM

I have hunted with a 7mm Remington Magnum for whitetail deer and shot one out at 400 yards so I'm sure that with much more practice and refinement further distances could be achieved. I have never shot a .300 Magnum and am wondering about the comparison of recoil? I am looking to put a Mil-Dot scope on whichever rifle I choose and have read that some larger calibers have an effect on the scope? I am used to doing my own reloading and feel that whichever caliber I choose I would be able to conjur up an appropriate load for different distances / game animals. Even though I want the caliber to be effective up to 1000 yds the majority of shots I have been presented with over the years have been between 300 and probably 750 yds. Also which specific brands would you suggest for both the 7mm and .300 Mag. I have noticed that the Remington model 700 looks to be a very high quality model?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

"I have noticed that the Remington model 700 looks to be a very high quality model?"

I cut and pasted that last bit of your post in order to preface my reply .

I am not realllly sure where to start but here goes .......
The "Remington 700 " is a good platform on which to build a 1000yd capable rifle . Please notice that I said " build " . Even though I am sure that one might find a factory 700 rifle that is / has the right stuff , the odds are against it happening. I must point out that I am automatically including the necessity of handloading for that rifle to reach that potential .

If your goal is to have a 1000 yd capable rifle you should definitely consider having a custom rifle built . There are many competent smiths here on this website that can accomplish this for you . The Remington 700 action can certainly be used to that end .

As far as caliber choice I am like Dakor , its strictly personal preference between the 300 winnie and the 7 mmRem mag as they are both equally capable . I , personally , am a fan of the ancient , yet revered , 300 Winchester magnum . Many good bullets out there for it and it is capable of 1/3 moa or better with proper handloading . However , one could say the same for the 7mm Remington magnum .

jimmba
Do you reload ? What is your current experience level ?

Last edited by Jimm; 06-09-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Have you considered the 300 RUM? In a 27" barrel you can easily expect it to push a 200 gr bullet at 3200 fps which would make a good 1000 yd cartridge.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams