Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

270 in a Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

270 in a Sendero

This is my first post, but I've been lurking around this site for a few months now reading and trying to absorb as much info as possible. Anyway, I have a Sendero in a 270. I wanted your opinions for starting out. I reload and have had success (or what I think is success) with reloading for other guns so far. I have been able to produce 3 shot groups that can be covered with a dime at 100 yds with every gun I've loaded (it took me 15-20 variations of loads to get there in some cases) for so far. I know there are people doing this well beyond 200yds, but this is how I've been doing it. I've only been reloading for a little over a year. So, I'm pretty much a newbie to all this.

With that said, if a can produce similar results with loads for my Sendero, do I need to go to the extent of having the action blue printed etc.? I'm not sure weather I should invest in some Smithing. For that matter, is it worth having Smithing done to a standerd Sporter type rifle if I can get the accuracy I'm getting, or am I not really as accurate as I think I am? I don't have any friends here that are already into this stuff so I really don't have a benchmark to compare myself too. I really don't know if I'm even in the ball park here.My intentions are to begin shooting at distances out to 600yds and go from there. 600yds is all I have avilable to me freely here in PA without joining a club.

From reading other posts I know you guys can get me on the right track, so I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for ant light you can shed on my subject..
Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Good Start

jmason,
First welcome! The sendero is a great platform to start on. IF you can prodcue reloads that shoot below .75MOA to .5MOA then your golden for now. If you can not get the sendero to shoot that good then I would suggest geting the triger worked on, Bedding, and recrowned.

Do not worry about getting it blue printed tell you are ready to replace the barrel.

It sounds like your on the right track. Find the bullet that has a high BC that shoots well in your gun and practice. BE warned this will get addicting.

Willys
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

jmason,
I've always wanted a Sendero in .270WIN. Maybe someday. You probably have all you need to consistently hit distant targets right now. I imagine with some tailored handloads, you'll be printing sub-.5" groups! I wouldn't do anything to the rifle until I had tried several load combinations in her first.
Good luck and keep us posted. JohnnyK.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure how mechanicaly inclined you are but for the acerage guy that is half way handy with tools , doing a decient bedding job isin't to hard especialy in a gun with the aluminum block like the Sendero has , so about $30 for a box of Devcon Plastic steel putty for a bedding job
Brownell's order number (#262-100-101-AA), and another $13 for a Holland trigger spring kit Brownell'ss order number (#403-170-000-AA) , this two jobs wil tipicaly help accuracy a bit especialy the trigger job , this spring kit will allow you to get your trigger pull down to 1.5-2.0lbs safely and with a little tweeking on the creep and over travel screws you can get a half way good trigger , or at least way better than it comes from the factory.

Not sure what bullets your using or what reloading methods your using but list those and maybe we can help with that also ,little thing like partialy resizing the necks only , differant seating depths , case sorting , case prep and a few other little things can help shrink those groups a little also. It sounds like your gun is shooting well right now at least a good bit under 1 moa which will get you on targets at 600yds.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the helpful insight!

James,

I haven't even shot this gun yet. The info I provided was based on experiances I had with some of my other guns. I picked up the sendero a few months ago with the thoughts of getiing deeper into my reloading/shooting hobby. I was just curious as to weather my current skill set and experiance would get me on the right path before I start sinking $$ into this. I truly do appreciate all of your input. It will be a month or so before we get any consistancy to our weather here, and I'll have some daylight after work. Once that happens I'll have the conditions i need to put forth the time and focus needed.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

I picked up a pristeen sendero in 270 win last year. Cleaned the barrel and made some loads. I think I tried 3 different bullets. It shot all loads at or under an inch and some were in the .3's. I haden't even touched the bedding or factory trigger. For some reason it's been a safe queen ever since.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

.270 sendero

i have several senderos, my brother and friends have several; maybe 20 or more now total. they all shoot real good. we adjust the trigger . put a good scope on it. load up some good ammo. good brass and good bullets. my son in law shot a group( 15 shots) at his first 1k match that you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. i am looking for a 30-06 sendero just like yours. roninflag