Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

.264 Win Mag project rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM

.264 Win Mag project rifle

New to this sight and sometimes I ramble, so bear with me .

I have wanted and have kept an eye out for a .264 mag since 1976. I finally came across what I have been looking for a few months back and bought it, a model 700 BDL with a 24" barrel.

I want this rifle to be a looker as well as a shooter, and for me that means blued and a wood stock.

The stock will be from a piece of Black Walnut that came from the ranch where 3 generations of my family grew up, lived and worked . ( Side note, I am having a custom knife made with the same wood for the handle scales )

I want to have it re-barreled with a 26" barrel. A friend has made a suggestion on who to use, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have been told to get a Jewell trigger for it. Have it blue printed and quite a bit of stuff I honestly have no clue .

So, if you have suggestions, I'm all ears. I have been thru the Cerakote argument and for this gun that is not an option.

This will be done a stage at a time as I have the funds, and I want the gun shootable between stages, with a new scope being last. ( I have a nice Leopold 3 x 9 for it right now )

And, currently I dont reload, but I have a good friend that does and who also has a .264 and is ready o start cooking up recipes for me to shoot. if anyone has a pet load, that would be great as well.

Thanks guys

Bobby
Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: .264 Win Mag project rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
New to this sight and sometimes I ramble, so bear with me .

I have wanted and have kept an eye out for a .264 mag since 1976. I finally came across what I have been looking for a few months back and bought it, a model 700 BDL with a 24" barrel.

I want this rifle to be a looker as well as a shooter, and for me that means blued and a wood stock.

The stock will be from a piece of Black Walnut that came from the ranch where 3 generations of my family grew up, lived and worked . ( Side note, I am having a custom knife made with the same wood for the handle scales )

I want to have it re-barreled with a 26" barrel. A friend has made a suggestion on who to use, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have been told to get a Jewell trigger for it. Have it blue printed and quite a bit of stuff I honestly have no clue .

So, if you have suggestions, I'm all ears. I have been thru the Cerakote argument and for this gun that is not an option.

This will be done a stage at a time as I have the funds, and I want the gun shootable between stages, with a new scope being last. ( I have a nice Leopold 3 x 9 for it right now )

And, currently I dont reload, but I have a good friend that does and who also has a .264 and is ready o start cooking up recipes for me to shoot. if anyone has a pet load, that would be great as well.

Thanks guys

Bobby
Welcome,
Hey that's a pretty good pick for a hunting caliber. I've always like the 246 Win Mag... But as was eluded too, you'll need a good 26" plus barrel to get the most from the cartridge. There are many good barrel guy's... but I do like Pac-Nor for a nice hunting barrel at a fair price.
Depending on the rifle: M700 tune up nice, perhaps all your need is a trigger job, but the "J" trigger’s are nice.
Reloads are what make the .264 Win Mag shine… safe ones that is.
Good luck

Last edited by 436; 12-29-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: sent to soon
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

BOBBY- google remington crisp and adjust the rem trigger. i have several factory and 4 shilen one jewell. i would use a krieger barrel 8.5 twist. what are you shooting at?? is your donor a mag action? my gunsmith does not blue print my actions.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Hey Bobby, I'm Just north of you here in New Braunfels. That should be the perfect caliber for Texas. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

The advice stating bbl lenght for the 264 starts at 26" is spot on, in my opinion 28" would be my choice.

There are a literal TON of reputable barrel makers that can/will make your 264 shine, to the likes of: Kreiger (one of my favs), Hart, Lilja, Brux, Rock Creek, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Douglas & I just bought a 31" 1-8.4" Obermeyer 5R in 6.5 for my 6.5WSM project.

Stick with the good ones, yeah they may be a little more $$$, but there will be no "surprises" in the end. If you are going to drop the coin on a new stock & barrel, get the action trued up, some, especially the new Remington's can be quite unsquare. True the action face lap the lugs & true up the receiver threads. Will it help?? Some rifles shoot just fine without all of this done, but it will be FAR easier to do it now then find out you have to do it later.

"Pet" loads are like Pit Bulls in my opinion, what behaves very well for shooter X, may very well bite YOUR hand off. Start with what bullet you would like to use & research data for that bullet, preferably from that manufacturers loading manual. Most all manufacturers indicate which powder was most accurate in their testing which seems to work well. Data can also be found in some online reloading forums, but remember, online you have no idea if "bubba" has any idea what he's doing or not. BE CAREFUL. You will generally find VERY sound advice from the folks on here, always start low & work up.

If you have a pre x-mark trigger, you can tune those fellers to a very respectable weight & feel (if capable). If not, the Shilens & Jewels are top tier & highly recommended.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. There is no time limit on this project since I have to do it as my pocket money finances allow.

I have in my mind's eye how I want it to look. I hope I can make it shoot to match.

And this is an older model 700.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

My 264 win mag is supposed to be shipped tomorrow (today is a holiday). It is built on a SS 700 action (blueprinted & trigger worked), 27" stainless, fluted, sendero contour, lilja 8 twist. I probably shouldn't recommend the smith until I have time for load development and such but my neighbor has three rifles that he's worked on for him and comes highly recommended.

If you have time to wait for the barrel, I might suggest a slightly faster twist - maybe 8.4 or 8.5? I would try to get a hold of folks on this forum with more knowledge than myself. I just didn't want to wait for the barrel, so I got one that Lilja keeps on hand. Lilja is the only other aftermarket barrel that I have and to say I've been impressed is an understatement. Not trying to knock other barrel mfg's, this is just what I have experience with.