Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

260 Rem. Multiple Shot Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

260 Rem. Multiple Shot Problems

Hi, I've been lurking, reading, and learning for a long time. I've only posted a couple other times. Recently I began putting together a Savage 110 in .260 Rem. with a Pac-Nor 28" barrel Sendero contour. It has the Bell and Carlson Duramaxx stock and has not been bedded. My first couple trips out to the range were successful while also giving me some headaches. So here is my first headache:
I was using factory ammo to break the barrel in because I was unable to find 260 brass and didn't wan't to start off by resizing. I was breaking the barrel in by shooting one shot and cleaning in it. It was grouping right around an inch. I was very happy with that. I did this for the first 12 shots. I then switched to shooting three and cleaning. The groups opened up dramatically, 3-4 inches. I was not frustrated at first, assuming that they were going to get better with break in, but after a total of 28 shots like this, the groups were still the same. Is this a problem that bedding would solve, or should I continue the break in. The shots were not in rapid succession.

Also, I have read that a great benefit of a long action in short action caliber is the flexibility in seating depth. Knowing this, I wanted to try some 130 Berger VLDs. Does anybody have pet loads for these? I have about 6 lbs of IMR 4350 for other guns so if anybody has a pet load with this powder that would be great too.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 260 Rem. Multiple Shot Problems

I know you said the 3 shoots were not in rapid succession...how much time between shots? It may be that 1 shot then 1 cleaning was only removing just enough copper fouling so the next shot was ok but as soon as it's a three shot string it rears it's ugly head. IMHO-make sure all the copper fouling has been removed before each 3 shot string. I'm sure others will offer some good insight.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

It was probably a minute between shots.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

were you "just cleaning" or removing ALL the copper between each shot?

What solvent are you using

If you have been removing ALL the copper between shots, your barrel is most likly cleaning pretty easy now, meaning that the copper fouling is minimal and the barrel is broke in for the most part.

Were you cleaning after every 3 rounds then shooting another group. If so you would not see much consistancy.

Clean all the copper out before your next range sesion with a good cleaner. Shoot 2 fouling rounds off the target, then start shooting groups don't clean between groups just keep shooting and you should see the barrels potential.

Make sure your action screws are tight, and bedding the action will help.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

I feel that I was removing most of the copper. I was using Montana Copper Solvent. Maybe I was not removing all of it. I will do a better job at cleaning it next time I am at the range. It still seems to be fouling fairly easy. Would it hurt anything to break it in with another fifteen shots or so?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Read this, and the following discusion.

Custom Barrel Care At 17X
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

pacnor sent me a small bottle of witches brew for break in, which I used as instructed on their breakin sheet that was also provided. Follow the break in procedure and do it right. don't get worried about groups with factory ammo.

If you complete the break in andtrouble shoot all the stuff already mentioned, then contact pacnor, they are very good folks there. I'm sure they will take care of you.

the duramax stock has an aluminum bedding block right? that should be all you need for bedding.

if you're limited to factory ammo, try some match ammo (link below) - hopefully you got a 1:8 twist?? if its 1:9 you will need 130gr or less bullets.

.260 Match Ammo Comparison Test