Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

1st Rifle Build...Help with details please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 PM

1st Rifle Build...Help with details please.

I was referred to this site by a fellow shooter. He said ya'll knew your business, from what I've read over the past several weeks I must agree. My usual shooting website don't really 'agree', for a lack of better terms, with long range hunting tactics. I'm confused about what I need to build a precision LR hunting rifle.
I'm looking to build a custom long range hunting rifle, 1000y for paper and only as far as I feel comfortable for deer. I've been shooting out to 500 for several years with tuned factory rigs. I want to make sure that I make well informed decisions that will compliment my shooting/hunting style. I will tell you what I want, hopefully you will enlighten me as to what I need. I'm looking to build a true long range hunting rifle. I will shoot it year round on my range. I love to tinker with handloads and try new components. I want it light enough that it's functional as a hunting rifle. It will be used from 'shooting houses' on pipeline right of ways. 10-12 pounds or so all up. One of the various 7mm's (7RM, STW) will be chosen, probably STW. Barrel in the 27" range. Stiller action, McM stock, Krieger barrel, resprung 700 trigger.
1) Actions - I'm LEFT-HANDED. Stiller Predator or TAC comes in Lefty. Is Stiller my only choice? I've heard the Predator wasn't exactly a true long range action, just a real nice all around unit. Is the TAC300 a better choice.
2) Stock- HTG design like M40A1.
3) Barrel- Krieger SS at 27", #5 straight, 6 or 7 fluted?
4) Do I need a 20 moa base or not?
5) Which rings?
6) Scope is undecided.

I'm not sure how much rifle you ACTUALLY need to shoot long, I know the heavier the better but where is the middle ground. My two long range shooters I've been using are in the 9-10 pound range.

I know that's a lot of info but I'll take what you throw at me.

Thanks, Tim

Last edited by 7mmaniac; 01-03-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Shorten the paragraph
Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Welcome to the site! This place has been great to me. I've learned a great deal from everyone here as I am sure you will to. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you are looking for. All good products. I use a leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 on my long range rig, but I'm sure alot of others here would recomend a Night Force, I personally don't have any experience with one yet;) As for the componets of the rifle, you should track down one of the smiths on the site and pick their brain. They are all very helpful and honest. Oh, and they build kick ass rifles too hope this helps AL
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
I too am a big fan of 7mm guns and just bought a 7mm RUM...it looks like it is the biggest factory 7mm you can buy. I have yet to do much with it, but you might keep it in mind when you select a caliber.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Gold Member

#3.....Fluted 6.....#7 fluted JUST a touch on the heavy side for our style hunting (very simular by the way).

#4 might as well have it price is not that big a diff...I have it

#5 NF lightwieght

#6 NF

And at least the 7RUM....but Id get a bigger 7 if was to build a new gun.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Keep an eye on barrel life.

In reading your post, it seems that you shoot a lot (which is great). One thing you should consider as you decide on caliber is barrel life. Obviously larger caliber rifles will generally have better barrel life.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the information guys.

AJ...I get the feeling your a .30 cal fan. I've come to realize, from personal experiences, that a .284 can run with a .30 with less recoil. Now that I've said that, I have no experience past 500 yards. Does the larger caliber have any advantages father out? It seems the B.C.'s and S.D.'s of each are very comparable. Energy is slightly off for the .284. I'm thick skinned, let me have it. I'm here b/c you guys know the difference between fluff and flash. I want the flash.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Actually I'm a big 7mm fan. But just want you to take barrel life into consideration. I have 7mm, 30cal and 338cal and they are all very capable out to 1000yds and beyond. But powder volume to bore diameter will favor the larger calibers for barrel life.

As far as recoil is concerned, a 7mm RUM is at the top of the factory heap for 7mm velocity and can also have substantial recoil. On the other end, a little 338 WSM will still get you to 1000yds, but with exceptional barrel life (not as flat trajectory though).

There are tons of chamberings that will meet your requirements. How many rounds/year are you planning to shoot with this rifle? If you plan on 1000/year, you should plan on a barrel every year or so with some of the chamberings and only 1 or 2 / decade with others.

7mm STW is a terrific round (as is the 7mm RM) I'd guess that gilt edge accuracy will typically drop off for both chamberings somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rounds.

In my opinion, a 7mm STW built to around 12-14#'s would be a great LR rifle for your needs. 7mm RM would be one step down and a 7mm RUM would be a big step up from there.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives