Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

1st custom rifle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Re: 1st custom rifle build

Yea, I checkout Bugholes but they didn't have the barrel length I wanted. I went ahead and ordered a 28" Remington varmint (sendero) type with flutes, 8 twist, 5-R rifling.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Call your smith give him the expected dates it will reduce time. The first time you shoot that 5 shot group with all shots touching will be well worth the wait!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good set up. It's a must unwritten rule that the finished product is to be pictured upon receiving the rifle. As for optics, can't go wrong with NF. If you can swing the cost, then S&B, Hendsolt, or Premier would be excellent options.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Call your smith give him the expected dates it will reduce time.
Will do. Been looking at calling Greg at Gre-Tan Rifles here in Colorado.
Quote:
It's a must unwritten rule that the finished product is to be pictured upon receiving the rifle.
Hell yea, I'll be posting some pics.

Question here: I've been racking my brain on this one. I'm trying to build a long range hunter/tactical build. I'm trying to make it more LR hunter. I did order the box mag and part of my brain says, "that's more tactical" than LR hunter. What's your opinion?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mast View Post
Will do. Been looking at calling Greg at Gre-Tan Rifles here in Colorado.

Hell yea, I'll be posting some pics.

Question here: I've been racking my brain on this one. I'm trying to build a long range hunter/tactical build. I'm trying to make it more LR hunter. I did order the box mag and part of my brain says, "that's more tactical" than LR hunter. What's your opinion?
Some guys like drop plates, some like magazines. It's all a matter of personal preference. I personally like the look of the magazine extending down. Your choice of colors and how they are applied to the rifle really determine its appearance as to being tactical or not. That's up to you. I think the magazine is a very practical application. You can carry one or two mags with you and don't have to worry about caring an ammo wallet or shell box. It's totally on what you want for function and look.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks liltank. My "confidence" is hitting me hard right now saying, "Ooh baby I want that custom rifle"! Based off of this commercial.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Talked with Gre-Tan Rifles and I've been added to the waiting list (list IS long). I should be receiving my action this week. I should have everything by the time Gre-Tan calls my number. I see that Len's Online Store has McMillan stocks for sale now. Now, do I go with Cerakote, DuraCoat or another brand for the finish? That's all for now.

Mast