Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

1st custom rifle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM

1st custom rifle build

Had my taxes done and have some $$ to spend. I've been wanting a 6.5-284 Norma rifle (long range hunter) for a long time and want to go the custom route. This will be my first custom rifle. Here's what I plan on purchasing and looking for some input.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action repeater with tactical bolt knob
2. Krieger barrel, sendero type fluted with recessed target crown, 5-R rifling or not?? length??
3. Either McMillan's new Game Scout stock or Greybull's Precision Hunting Stock.
4. Trying to decide if I want to go with Surgeon's long range action bottom with magazine or Remington style swing-out magazine/floor plate.
5. What triggers should I go with?

So far, that's all I've written down and then to find someone willing to build it. Anything missing that I should consider?

Thanks,

Mast
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Re: 1st custom rifle build

Forgot to mention that I'll be using Black Hills Gold Ammunition 6.5mm-284 Norma 142 Grain Sierra MatchKing or HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 6.5mm-284 Norma 140 Grain Berger Hunting VLD. I do plan on reloading but that's later down the road. Still researching the optics and been looking at Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Jewell triggers are tough to beat. Rifle basix is another to check out. Im not sure if greybull will inlet for surgeon bottom metal, but I know Mcmillian does. something to consider. Krieger makes a great barrel, and I'm not sure about their wait time or your timeline, but Hart barrels are great as well, with far less wait. Had mine in less than 3 weeks. My Bartliens took 6 mos. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Bronze Member

Talk to your smith find out his wait time, see if he will put you on his queue based upon you having your action, barrel drop shipped. If he will it will probably save you a couple of weeks. I completed my first build last year, it is well worth it but the wait sux. I was 23 weeks total.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Why wait for your barrel? >>> www.bugholes.com <<<

Call Greg, (yes they are a sponsor). Great guy, easy to deal with & they STOCK Kreiger, Brux, Obermeyer (I bought one of these) & Rock Creek. As well as Stiller Actions. The only wait time I had was transit from Florida to Wyo.

Jewell Triggers are touted as "the best" I just bought my first for a custom I have in the works right now. I have 2 Rifle Basix, which is a good trigger & I also have Timney, which is working well although I am struggling with the huge trigger shoe....

S&B & NightForce are great optics, I own the latter & am satisfied to this point. Depending on the 'smith you choose, discerning over who inlets for what is moot at best. The 'smith SHOULD be able to inlet whatever you want into whatever you want (provided it is feasible).

I haven't had the chance to drive a Surgeon, but I have played with Nesika, Bat (very little), Stiller (my new one), Defiance (my fav).... Surgeon holds a great reputation & some of their features are TOP notch, if that is what you want, don't settle for less, trust me.

I've wanted to try the GreyBull stock, alas, I am a southpaw & need to get my hands on one before purchasing to ensure ambidexterity
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Surgeon 1086 long action repeater with bottom/magazine and Jewell trigger. Called up Krieger and ordered my barrel. Good lord... gotta wait 20 weeks. I'll call McMillan up tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mast View Post
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Surgeon 1086 long action repeater with bottom/magazine and Jewell trigger. Called up Krieger and ordered my barrel. Good lord... gotta wait 20 weeks. I'll call McMillan up tomorrow.
Krieger 6.5mm 8.5 twist SS Remington Varmint 27"$315.00 (4) Order
Krieger 6.5mm 8 twist SS MTU (#10) 29"$315.00 Out of Stock

www.bugholes.com I wouldn't doubt the 8 twist will be back in stock sooner than 20 wks!