Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

1st Build, Stock selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1st Build, Stock selection

Richard, I do tend to be vocal about something I consider sub par (my .002 opinion) I do however run the same lever type release & AICS mags in a McRee Chassis. If I didn't take the time to explain why I prefer different I need to, it's only fair.

First point, as you all know I'm not very attracted to the look of the Uber tab sticking out (McRees, CDI etc) like a leper on on fashion week. It is cosmetic but......

Second, this is purely theoretic but well based. The mag release, on the models i've seen, is made of aluminum. The AICS mags are Steel(ish). I, among others, tend to feel the release tab will wear quickly rubbing against a sharp steel magazine. Best case, you end up with some aluminum shavings in your mag well. Worst case, after years of abuse (probably), the release will wear to the point of in-operability becoming too short to hold the mag at the proper height to feed. Realistic? Who knows.... Possible? Dern tootin....

If you intend to run AICS mags (I sure wish they were longer) take a LONG look at the APA (American Precision Arms) DBM Setup. Well built & includes one of the best looking (& functioning) mag releases I have ever seen. Seekins also makes a great DBM, although I think (sometimes) they run mags of their own design.

Richard, here is a picture of the HS DMB I'm running on a LA McMillan A5:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
1st Build, Stock selection-h-s-detachable-mag-system.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if I agree or disagree. I'm very happy with mine and have no concerns about reliability or wear. Then again, I'm not battling insurgents.

I will certainly have a look at the ones you suggested when I do my next build.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=rscott5028;634245]Not sure if I agree or disagree. I'm very happy with mine and have no concerns about reliability or wear. Then again, I'm not battling insurgents.

, so true. My life does not depend upon it either as steel doesn't fight back very much! (unless I drop it on my toe).

Like I said, just .002 worth of opinion. Some experience based, some hypothetical.