Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

WTB/Trade: Mark-V Alaskan .257 and .340 Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WTB/Trade: Mark-V Alaskan .257 and .340 Weatherby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
Thanks for spotting this. I sent the seller the correct info on the rifle and asked if it was for sale without the scope, rings, bases, and brake. We'll see if there is a reasonable price.
I'd take the brake as a finders fee.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I'd take the brake as a finders fee.

Brakes are nice for bench-work & phenomenal for long-range work when ear protection isn't a hindrance. When carrying a rifle through the timber, I want to hear an elk or deer so I can't wear earplugs. I also want to avoid blowing my eardrums out from the muzzle-blast a brake sends back at the shooter. I'm looking for a Weatherby Mark-V in .340 Weatherby as it's the most powerful elk rifle & cartridge I can shoot comfortably without a brake.

I already have a .338-.378 with a brake & a .375 H&H that's Magna-Ported to use when I can hunt with a brake.

You may get lucky. If the seller gives me a price that I see as reasonable for the rifle alone & still sends along the brake, I'm sure I'll unload the brake cheaply.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

I've got a 340 Alaskan with a brake, and a spare one won't hurt at all. My Dad has been to the seller's store as he had a customer near there, but I have not.

Shooting this rifle in the wide open isn't necessarily a problem. I was amazed when shooting it off the edge of a low cliff in the wide open how quiet it was.
Don't shoot it in the woods, though, and expect to hear much the next couple of days...
2 months later I purchased electronic in-ear hearing protection which works very well to amplify the small sounds and block out the loud ones.

Good luck on the purchase.