Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Why does a thread get locked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Why does a thread get locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybullslayer View Post
I think the OP wants to know why he loses the ability to edit his original post after it has been up for a couple of days. Actually, kind of curious myself.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Finally the BS stopped and a serious answer is interjected. That's exactly what my question was about. I was going to lower the price a little and throw in some different options and configurations for higher and lower pirces. Guess that's a mute point now.

But seriously, I understand it getting locked after the item is sold, but I didn't have even one hit yet???? My prices weren't so outlandish either. Maybe I'll put it back up later with just the plain gun and hard case for $10.00

Z
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

OK, seriously most of the time when a thread gets locked in the classifieds is when Len or one of the moderators thinks it has been posted by a commercial seller who is not a sponsor here, or the seller is selling something that is illegal.
You could send Len a message and ask him.

Dave

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru.../len-backus-1/
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Finally the BS stopped and a serious answer is interjected. That's exactly what my question was about. I was going to lower the price a little and throw in some different options and configurations for higher and lower pirces. Guess that's a mute point now.

But seriously, I understand it getting locked after the item is sold, but I didn't have even one hit yet???? My prices weren't so outlandish either. Maybe I'll put it back up later with just the plain gun and hard case for $10.00

Z

The reason they are only able to be edited for a short time is to protect against "he said" " she said" situations. This way original posts remain original with a given amount of time to proof read and edit.

A good way to lower a price in your ad it to "quote" your own original post, make the corrections in bold, and label it at the top of the post as "updated"

It is alsoa good idea to post a final reply that states SOLD and then you have the option to lock or close the thread in the edit options at the top of the post window.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff clarifies it............ I might add that VBulletin which is the vehicle that supports this site format has some interesting quirks......

On a different note, we have lots of new members on site lately (wonder if it has something to do with the current political climate).....

Neither here nor there.

What is, is that this forum is basically self moderating, that is, Len won't interfere unless it gets major stupid and that brings me to a point and that point simply is....

Act like adults, post like an adult, refrain from swear words, refrain from demeaning other posters and stay on thread subject.

One persons humor may not be anothers, however, don't chastise a person just because in your opinion, their post wasn't appropriate. Remeber, it's just your opinion.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

"On a different note, we have lots of new members on site lately (wonder if it has something to do with the current political climate)....."

I think there is sort of a "feeding frenzy" currently. On another site that I frequent, there is a ton more stuff showing up in the classifieds. Also a lot more new members, perhaps so they can use the classifieds? A lot of different guns and equipment than were ever found posted on the site before. The time to sell is when the prices are up.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgordee View Post
"On a different note, we have lots of new members on site lately (wonder if it has something to do with the current political climate)....."

I think there is sort of a "feeding frenzy" currently. On another site that I frequent, there is a ton more stuff showing up in the classifieds. Also a lot more new members, perhaps so they can use the classifieds? A lot of different guns and equipment than were ever found posted on the site before. The time to sell is when the prices are up.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Perhaps you are right. And I might have joined in the frenzy a little. I've been a member of this "club" for at least a year I think. I've just been a silent partner under a different name.

I can assure you and Len that nothing I posted in the classifieds was illegal. I'll post pix of every item with serial number and my FL DL and concealed carry with every post if it is needed. I'm not hiding anything. I'm not mad about it. Just confused. I've made about a dozen posts on here since that thread got closed.

thanks to all who replied. Even Mr. BillLarson :-)

Beelzebub
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Before we set the edit time limit as it is now, we had too many "he said, she said" arguments in some threads.
Len has said this about the time limit on the edit function.