Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Sold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2003, 08:41 PM

Re: Sold

Just a question I am just looking for my first high power is this something i want to start with, I know the 223 is the cheepest to shoot but I want to hunt deer with it also. Do you know the range of effectivness betwene the 223 and 308 PS I am a bad speller
Old 05-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

Big Sky, if thats what you can get it for then go for it, then have the extras done and you will be well over what I am asking. I have the trigger job and bedding done already and I didn't do it and its not free. Post your dealers phone # and name and we will see who is jerking who's chain. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

MHV, where I live you can't even hunt deer with a .223 so you will have to consider that there is a reason for it being that way.
I'm not even going to debate a .223 vrs a .308
Did you get the pictures I sent to you?
RedMan*

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: RedMan* ]
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
SPONSOR

Rather than piss off my local dealer by having him bugged some stranger I'll post these random sites on the net that back up what I said. As you can see none of these prices are all that much more or less than what my dealer offered me. Pretty much all of them are cheaper for a new rifle than your used price. Granted you had the trigger tuned and action bedded, but that reall doesn't affect the cost of a used rifle much. http://www.shotdog.com/win_browning.htm http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/SearchResults.asp http://www.armthepopulace.com/rifles/win.html http://www.discountfirearms.com/prices.asp?mid=47
If you are still not satisfied call Sportsmans Warehouse in Salt Lake City or Provo/Orem Utah. Their price is as good or better than my local dealers last I checked.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Bronze Member

Big Sky,
I'll give you this, you are persistant arn't ya?
I called my local Sportsmans Warehouse and all they had was a .223, the price for that was $619. He wasn't to sure what the .308 was priced at but said it wasn't more than $649
Thats what I found here local.
I'll tell ya what, if you want it the price is $600 and you pay shipping.
Shipping would be no more than $20.
So for $620 you would get the trigger job and the action bedded for free, and, there would be no sales tax.
How does that sound?
This is a FIRM price.
RedMan*
Old 05-16-2003, 07:05 AM
SPONSOR

Redman who did the bedding and trigger job? Also what part of the barreled action was bedded? The whole action? Full length barrel bedding? Free floated barrel just ahead of the mortise? Lug and tang? I'm asking because I'm seriously interested in your rifle and that price of $600.00 to me seems a bit more in line for a used rifle. Please send me some photos of your rifle along with any information about how it shoots and what ammo it likes. With 250 shots through it surely you formed some kind of opinion about this rifle. Please email me the details. You can find my email address in my file. Thanks, hope I didn't ruffle your feathers too much, my apologies if I did.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

Big Sky, You should be asking, why in the hell did you have a HS stock bedded in the first place, waste of money IMO. Barrel is freefloated right off the bat, And if you torque the guard screws to 65inlbs per HS instructions, that action isn't going/moving anywhere. Why do you think HS puts a damn Aluminum Bedding Block in there, so you can bed it again? I know I'll get some flak from you guys that skim bed your HS stocks and say they're more accurate that way, when my 6mm starts shooting out of the 2s and 3s, maybe I'll try skim bedding to see if it helps. Doubt it. Redman, How does that Stealth shoot by the way? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

MVH, you wrote: Just a question I am just looking for my first high power is this something i want to start with, I know the 223 is the cheepest to shoot but I want to hunt deer with it also. Do you know the range of effectivness betwene the 223 and 308 PS I am a bad speller
------------------------------------------

Friend, I've seen much worse spelling than yours. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The .223 is not well suited (at all) as a big game rifle. It is suitable for small game, like coyotes and less, and for target competition out to 600y (like in NRA 'High Power' matches). But that's the only high power that should be associated with the .223. Other readers, save your posts about your pal who dropped a moose with one shot from a .223 at 450 yards. As far as I'm concerned, unless you are starving or defending your life, you shouldn't be using .223 on a big game animal.

'Nuff said on that.

Now then, the .308 happens to be one of the most popular cartridges in the world, and for good reason. It's very accurate, it's widely available, and it's fairly inexpensive to shoot, and can certainly handle deer size game with no problem.

In my opinion, the .308 is just about the best all-around caliber available.

[ 05-16-2003: Message edited by: Len Backus ]