Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States -

If guns are your business your FFL license is your life's blood. Avoiding anything which jeopardizes that license is only common sense.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM

This thread reminds me of a quote I read recently: "Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olymics. Even if you win you're still special."
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Gold Member

One of the local gunshops that I used to receive transfers quit receiving from non-FFL shippers and when I questioned him, his response was that he was getting to many "Non Transferable" weapons. That means the weapons could NOT legally be sold because of sawed off barrels, full auto option, etc.
At that point he has to notify the BATF that he has the weapon and things get complicated for him.
So his decision was to ONLY receive from another FFL in hopes that the other FFL would have enough sense to check it BEFORE he shipped it.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

From an FFL side of things it's a huge problem "sometimes" to accept from a none FFL holder.
#1 half the time they never put a copy of there photo ID which is required by law
#2 They usually make a mistake like shipping ammo or an illegal gun causing phone calls and headaches
#3 They sale the gun to a person who can't pass the backround check then makes everyone jump through hoops

in the end it's the shops decision because it doesn't take much to make the ATF watch you or put you under review. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get involved for something that can bankrupt them.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 AM

I just encountered this same issue two days ago and it has happened to me in the past as well. I am not an FFL holder but I do a lot of buying/selling/trading online and, as such, I end up having to ship to FFL dealers so that they can perform the transfer to the buyer/recipient.

I can appreciate and understand where all of you FFL holder's are coming from but as an individual I find it extremely hard to swallow when the law states that something is legal and then individual FFL dealers decide not to accept shipments from an individual. I have spoken with numerous FFL dealers that refuse to accept shipments from individuals and when asked as to their reasoning behind this I am told that it is not legal? Hello...it may be your policy not to accept a firearm from and individual but it is totally legal.

I discussed this very thing w/ my Class III SOT dealer this time home and he said for me to start filing complaints with the ATF whenever I run into this situation and then have the purchaser of the weapon find another dealer that will accept from an individual or just don't do the deal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know exactly what trouble (if any) an FFL dealer can get into or if he/she would but this is what my dealer said he has done in the past and that was his recommendation.

All this to say, I guess it is a doubled edge sword. Many fish in the sea don't know any better and when a dealer refuses to accept form an individual then some individuals will go through the extra process and extra fees of dropping it at their local FFL dealer & have them mail it to the other dealer. My dealer will not do this anymore as he has been inundated with request from people "needing" him to ship to an FFL dealer that will not accept from and individual and as such my dealer has been recommending to his customers to report them ATF? He said he is sick in and tired of FFL holder's not following the law.

I don't know if there is any validity to "reporting a dealer to the ATF" especially in regards to something of this nature but if so it would seem that the dealer's that practice this need to be aware that sometimes when the hand that feeds them gets bit they may not get much food the next time they belly up to the table.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect but just wanted to through my point of view out there as a law abiding second amendment rights practicing former Marine. Semper Fi.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Target07,
I understand your point of view completely. But there is nothing to report to the FFL or violation that is happening. I am sure they are saying it's illegal so they don't have to exsplain there position to everyone since most people don't know any better and will just leave it at that. the FFL holder pays for the right to do so and they can run there business as they feel. That is like saying that you can turn an auto body shop in because they don't work on your type of car as an individual business they have to do what they are comfortable with. I love the fact that my FFL will do whatever to help me or any other customer out, but if they stopped it wouldn't surprise me.
Would we all be comfortable if the FFL's turned in an individual for shipping the firearm improperly over an oversight or mistake on there part. It would suck to loose a gun and get arrested because I forgot a step in the proccess. I know my FFL will call the shipper back and try to get the correct info if there is a problem instead of just turning it in.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Target07,
If it is such a big deal go get your FFL. Then run your shop the way you want to. That said if you are the one out 50 that ship your firearms in a 100% legal manner I am sorry most dont know the right way and those that do make simple mistakes that wind up being a PITA.