Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States -

Shipping firearms
Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL but may be shipped intrastate. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

Firearms delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written declaration to the carrier of the contents of the shipment, if mailing to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. Notice to the carrier is not required when shipping to one of the licensed entities aforementioned. Letter from ATF summarizing shipping responsibilities under the law:

Gun law in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shipping firearms - Gun law in the United States -

And...?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Thanks for posting that. It should clear up some confusion. I recently sold one of my rifles on here and two of the prospective buyers I talked to said their dealers won't accept a shippment from an individual, I would have to take it to another dealer to have it shipped. One of them said it was because the ATF questioned them and asked how do they know who the rifle came from? I just thought what difference does it make? Even if it came from a person that's not supposed to have a rifle, after they ship it they don't have it any more, right?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev08 View Post
Thanks for posting that. It should clear up some confusion. I recently sold one of my rifles on here and two of the prospective buyers I talked to said their dealers won't accept a shippment from an individual, I would have to take it to another dealer to have it shipped. One of them said it was because the ATF questioned them and asked how do they know who the rifle came from? I just thought what difference does it make? Even if it came from a person that's not supposed to have a rifle, after they ship it they don't have it any more, right?
It's not a matter of law, it's a matter of if that rifle turned up stolen or used in a crime it creates a real PITA for them. If it comes from one dealer to another there's a clear paper trail and thus no question of the receiver having been involved in attempting to cover up a crime or a party to a crime yet to occur.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM

I get what you're saying, but so what? I mean if I sell a chainsaw in a garage sale how does anyone know that it wasn't stolen or used in a crime?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev08 View Post
I get what you're saying, but so what? I mean if I sell a chainsaw in a garage sale how does anyone know that it wasn't stolen or used in a crime?
Think long and hard about it. Firearms laws are extremely strict and you have a hell of a lot of liability to deal with both civilly and criminally.

Any jackass can run a chainsaw shop, but it is hard to get an FFL and expensive as well. Anything that threatens your good standing with the ATF of state threatens your livelihood when you are a gun dealer and so many just want to cover their asses with an extra layer of protection.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM

I guess it's fine with me if business owners want to run their businesses as they see fit. This is just another case of people in our ridiculously litigious society bowing to the F-in lawyers once again. Usually gun guys are all about standing up and exercising their rights and freedoms under the law. Its just sad to me to see them wuss out like this.