Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Russian Military Laser rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Russian Military Laser rangefinder

Bountyhunter...

Many of us have military lasers...
Darrel has Ruskie units, I have the AN/GVS-5... we are as careful with them as we would be with a high powered rifle.

The art of longrange shooting requires far more skills than 200 yd deer hunting with a 30-30...
... same with longrange lasers. Anyone that lays out $3000 to $5000 for a laser, does NOT use it recklessly, anymore than someone that has a 1,500 yard rifle, toss lead bullets around carelessly.

So please lighten up, and don't lecture to the choir... we know what we are doing... far better than the 18 year old grunts in the military with a 2 weeks training.

CatShooter.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

LRH member #23
Old 09-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Hey now,,, 18 year old "Grunts" don't get lasers.... Only Gun bunnies and FO's get cool shtuff like that... We were lucky if we got Steiners with a reticle....

They told us,, if we can see it, and effectively engage it,,, fire it up. If not,, call for arty. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FatBoy...
Old 09-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Like I said, buy, use and sell these items at your own legal risk.

Strongly advise you to read the CFR and write the FDA for a letter opinion on legality if you truly believe there is no problem. If you get one, your home free. If not expect a visit. Personally, would love to have a legal one, but will not risk it with the Russian one.

Your all big boys, just do not go into something not knowing the facts and cry later "I did not know".

End of discussion on this subject!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Okay, gotta stray into this one (even though I am out of my league with those particular CFR's).

Alright, considering that the sale of this laser "may" not meet 21 CFR 1040.10 & 11;

#1 What reg speaks to the possesion or use of such a unit? Does it even address possesion by a private citizen and if so...
#2 Which agency/administration is granted regulatory oversite of such sales/possesions?
#3 What section of USC 49 applies the legal authority to enforce such regulatory standards? As applied to a private citizen?

I am not doubting Bounty Hunters knowledge of 21 CFR's, I believe he is knowledgable and I am not questioning his knowledge, just the CFR's.. CFR's are deep do-do and open for interpration....

For fun I am just questioning the relevence & legal authority of those particular CFR's towards possesion by a private citizen. I will make a brazen guesstimate that those regs are written towards the mfg of, and sale thereof by the mfgs, not to the private possesion or exchange by private citizens.. I for one would love to read the preamble to those particular CFR's. Anyhow, just curious..

FWIW; I don't belive for 1 second, that the sale/poessesion of one of these babies is illegal. Secondly, common sense previals with its usage as lawn mowers are dangerous in the same respect. Lastly, I wish I could afford one...

Nodak7mm [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. Daryl, are you sure your not a Super-Top-Secret-Agent? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Wait, your an international arms dealer, retired. Yeah thats it. It would explain why you got so much awesome toys, its all clear now.... Now I can't get that dang Johnny Rivers song outta my head, "Secret Agent Man"....

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]

Member #92
Old 09-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

For added information here.

Brunco corp imported 100s of these lasers into the US at the end of the cold war period.
They sold all of them and they have been in the hands of the civilian population for years.
The reason they no longer sell them was their supply began to dry up and another company in Canada got into the act. That company is now selling them in the USA for $10,000.00 retail and $6,000.00 wholesale.

If this was such a concern to the national securety, they would not have been allowed to sell them at all here in the States to begin with.
I have friends in Montana and several western States and throughout the entire nation that own these units and did before I had one.

With the amount of them out there, it seems like the safety issue is not valid. Everyone who owns one understands they are not eye safe and are not a toy.

For the longrange hunter, they can't be beat by ANY comercial unit available.
When someone invests the amount of money these cost that person will certainly be a safe and responsible user.

I warn everyone to the non-eye safe conditions, the reflective nature of the unit and also state that I am not responsible for the use or mis-use of the units in any way.

My friends and I use these with respect and most people may not believe just how many of these units are in the country at the present time.

The sale of these units in the USA has been going on for years and will continue as long as more are found.

Darryl Cassel

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 09-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Don't forget about all the building surveyors and construction companies that use Lasers everyday at work.

Just what we need, construction workers ******* off the roof and blinding the pedestrians that walk by. LMAO

I don't mean any offence to construction workers, I am referring to the ones I know. LOL

Oh yeah, Coal Miners use non-eyesafe lasers to, and ceiling tile workers, etc, etc...

Oh wait a minute ceiling tile lasers are eyesafe, I guess they don't need a class III firearms license to buy them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 09-16-2002, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Daryl,

Telling someone that they are not eyesafe is great, however that is only one of many possible problems with class III lasers and do they understand what that really means? How far, what is the NHOD, what is the NHOD-A, what the heck is a NHOD, what protective eyewear is required, how can you safely range something, what to look for in dangerous reflective surfaces etc?

Who certified that they meet the basic requirements of the CFR in order to be sold in the US? If they have a FDA certification letter with them, then no problem.

You are dealing with a controlled item that has come in under the guise of surplus. Because it is surplus and because it has never been a problem before does not eliminate it from being one. Or does that make it legal? We have numerous surplus machine guns that break that argument covered by the exact same CFR, albiet different sections.

Has your lawyer has prepared a waiver of liability statement to go along with each of them? Has he explained your liability in selling, buying or using these items?

What has your insurance agent said about your insurance policy covering you selling class III lasers? Are you covered if someone lases someone else and you are sued also?

FACT: Anyone can sell or buy anything until you are caught! Only then is it a problem.

So buy and sell class III lasers at your own risk.

the sportmsman guide at www.sportsmansguide.com has a canadian mftr 2000 yard class 1 laser coming in 7 Oct for $279.00, item number GXD2-65777. They do not have the spec sheet in yet and expect it with the first shipments. I am sure it is not as accurate or dangerous as the military models and as expensive. I do not know if it will be accurate enough until I read the spec sheet, but it will be legal.

The Wilde coincidental range finders are $500-600 and have been used for years successfully and are as accurate.

Take your choice and chances, whatever your pocketbook can pay and dish out if someone is caught in violation. Lawyers love that.

Bounty Hunter