Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

ISO 788 adjustable trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

ISO 788 adjustable trigger

I'm looking for a trigger adjustable down to 1.5 lbs.
I have been waiting for a Timney for 4 months now and they keep prolonging the release date, so who knows if they will ever get them out. I would prefer a Shillan but I don't believe they make them anymore.If you have a Shillan trigger for a 788 that you would be interested in selling let me know or if you know of any other custom triggers for a 788. I also realize there are things you can do to a factory trigger but I would really like to go with an after market trigger.
TIA,
308nate
Old 01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ISO 788 adjustable trigger

canjar made one at one time...single set...you might find one around.

JB
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

I started converting the factory triggers a while back. By drilling/tapping a small hole in the rear of the housing and putting in a set screw, you can adjust the take up. Replacing the spring sets the pull weight. They wind up better than any aftermarket (788) trigger around.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I started converting the factory triggers a while back. By drilling/tapping a small hole in the rear of the housing and putting in a set screw, you can adjust the take up. Replacing the spring sets the pull weight. They wind up better than any aftermarket (788) trigger around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gonna bet the 6oz canjar on set is better...

JB
Old 01-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Well,,, OK [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but can you find them? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

257speed,
Thanks for your reply. I decided to give it a try so I drilled, tapped and installed the set screw just barely above the pin that the saftey pivots on behind the trigger and installed a lighter spring and was able to get it down to a safe 1.5 lbs. but that's as light as she would go safetly. When I mean safe I whacked the action with a nylon hammer a couple of times and "dropped" the gun on the butt pad a couple times without it tripping so I guess that's good enough for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Please let me know if there are any other tricks I need to know. again thanks a bunch.

JB,
Thanks for the info on the Canjar trigger. Boy they don't give those things away..if you can find them. The prices I was seeing were at 300.00 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] but will definately agree that it probably is a better trigger.
This rifle is going to be used for prone, off the bipod and a little bench shooting and the fella I'm building the rifle for didn't want any lighter trigger pull than 1.5, in fact I may end up setting it at 2lbs. for him until he gets used to it.

Much appreciated,
308nate
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Glad it worked for you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As far as other tricks, the last one that I did, I got it adjusted, just as you did. Then I discovered that if you put the safety on, pulled and released the trigger, then took the safety back off, it set the trigger and would break at about 8oz.s. Never could figure it out, but it was totally safe. I wound up adjusting it out, but had it been mine I would have left it that way.