Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Guns For Sale

Guns For Sale List what you wish but keep it legal.

Extremely rare opportunity: NEW 338 Allen Magnum turn key rifle for sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Extremely rare opportunity: NEW 338 Allen Magnum turn key rifle for sale

Jpeaston,

I shot this rifle for groups at 1200 yards with the 265 gr TTSX, 300 gr SMK and 300 gr Berger Gen 2.

It preferred the 300 gr SMK the best shooting a couple sub 1/2 moa three shot groups. The 265 gr TTSX was damn near just as good, the Berger bullet ran in the 3/4 moa range. All more then adiquate for extreme range shooting and hunting.

Tested the Barnes 265 gr TTSX to see how it would expand at extreme range, at 1300 yards, the recovered bullets looked advertisement perfect with full mushrooms. Even more impressive was that at 500 yards, from three recovered bullets, only one had lost a petal and only one at that. Held together well. I would not think twice about punching a bullet elk from any range from around 300 out to 1300 yards with this rifle and expect good terminal performance.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Kirby; beautiful piece of craftsmanship? What would be the estimated number of rounds through the tube before it needs a rebarlel and at what cost? Just curious b/c I tend to shoot many rounds at range throughout the year. I liked the rifle to be an extension of me, to gain the greatest confidence.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Well i have been wanting one for a long time ever since you built my 338edge. I have a couple of good jobs coming in hopefully in the next week are so. If you still have it then and my job come in. i get with u and try to put this deal together. No waiting on one to be built is real nice as well
Old 11-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Calmshot,

800 to 1000 would be about max from what we are seeing if you take care of the bore and do not heat it up and keep shooting.

It would be about $1000 to rebarrel with a new fluted SS barrel and all machining and finish work to get you back up and running again. About what you would pay for many upper quality factory rifles....

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jeff 300,

Hope the edge is still treating you well.

Keep in touch, I was suspecting this rifle would have been gone by now so who knows, may still be around.

I think the biggest hang up with this sell is the large amount of ammo loaded with the 265 gr TTSX. Had they been loaded with the SMK I think it would be a none issue.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

I'm trying to talk my dad into doing a joint venture on this. I still have alot of "selling" to do.

Kirby, with those loaded 265's how fast do the launch them at???
Old 11-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

B23,

I will be honest, the load they are loaded up with is a relatively mild load simply because the owner wanted a load that would be comfortable in all situations. As such, I had to throttle back the load a bit to the 3450 fps level they are at now.

This rifle will break 3500 fps with this bullet if the load is developed where it will be used such as similiar temps and elevation. I have not done ALOT of BC testing with these 265 gr TTSX but from what I have done, it seems to be running in the 0.620 to 0.630 range. Certainly not the best in the world for long range ballistic performance but when you add the terminal performance and the ability to survive this launch speed on closer range impacts on big game, pretty impressive.

Because of the higher velocity, the trajectory is very similiar between the 265 and 300 gr SMK out to around 1200 yards.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com