I decided this gun serves me no practical purpose so I am going to try and sell it to fund a 243 Ackley long range gopher gun. 115 rounds fired. Included is a pic of my last group in a strong crosswind at 105 yds. My best group is 0.365" at 105 yds but naturally I threw the target away. The gun is a single shot. Barrel break-in was by the book as recommended by McGowan.
- Savage/Stevens action
- McGowan Barrel, 30" installed without barrel nut
- 1:10 Twist
- 6 Flutes
- Defensive Edge 1" brake
- Stockade Prarie Dog stock (with some cosmetic issues, see pics. There was some resin seperation in two spots. One is covered by the cheekpiece. Could be stripped and sanded again to fix) The paint is a textured OD green with a clear over it.
- SSS trigger
- SSS trigger guard
- EGW 20 MOA Base
- Burris XTR 30 mm rings, medium height
- 115 pieces of once fired brass, 109 have been necksized
- 9 necked up pieces, unfired
- 100 pieces brand new in unopened bag
- 32 pieces new in opened bag
- 850+ 300 gr SMK's, there are at minimum 850 there, but should be 885.
- 338 Edge RCBS 2 dies set from Defensive Edge
I would like to sell this as a package.
The stock was purchased from a friend of mine who had a 300 Winnie in it and upgraded to a McMillan. The price was right and I needed a stock so I bought it. He bedded it to his action with the "new and improved" Brownells kit where the bedding compound is like a gel. It's cosmetically not too pretty but it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on accuracy. A good re-bed would probably help it out some. Also, about the resin seperation. It's under the cheek piece which we will get to later and another spot just in front of the grip on the left side. It's not as noticeable, but it is there.
The cheek piece was made by my aforementioned friend. It actually looks pretty good but the rubberized coating is peeling off in a few spots from my ear muffs and the shooting bench vise. The cheek piece works very well though and is very rigid. I believe it's 1/8" aluminum. Also, the rear sling stud has some scuffs from the shooting bench surface.
The gun shoots very well, even with me behind it. Velocity is 2850-2875 with 92.5 gr of H-1000 and 2900 with 95 gr of Retumbo. Both had ES in the single digits.
Anything I loaded in this gun shot right at 1 MOA or under. The brake is very efficient, but LOUD!
Here are some pics. Please ask any questions you might have. Thanks for looking.
I'd like to get $1650.00 for everything listed shipped to an FFL. It will probably take two boxes. The scope and bipods are not
included in the auction. I may consider breaking this package up if there is interest.