Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

You need one of these!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Bronze Member

Re: You need one of these!!

Goodgrouper;
I have held off getting one of the new "autos" because my old one takes forever to dump a charge for the big boomers. My 338 takes 119 grains of powder and with the old units I can go eat dinner in the time it takes to meter the load out. How long does your new unit take to dump a load for your 338 Lapua for instance?
brassbender
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Gold Member

Brassbender I'm no GG but the new RCBS is stated to be faster than my Lyman and for a 100 grain load of H-50 BMG it takes an average of 27 seconds start to finish doing it all on it's own. The new units are much faster than the older ones. My Lyman has 3 speeds one for the majority then once it gets to within 10 grains it slows down and then slows to trickle when it gets within 1 grain.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:29 AM

Hey goodrouper. Want to speed things along even more. Call RCBS and get another powder pan (plastic) When you get it...Shave off plastic to make sure it's the exact weight as the other one you have. Now this is what you do.

After hitting Dispense and the unit finishes up the powder drop and reads stable. Take your powder filled pan off the scale, replace it with the spare pan and hit dispense again. While it's doing it's thing, take the first pan with the powder and dump it into your empty case. By the time your done, the next pan is ready with another load. Just keep doing that and you have made the process even faster.

This is how I rum mine and love it. I liked your review, it was spot on this great scale.

(EDIT) Just noticed gonehuntingagain does the same thing.
Joe
Old 05-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Bronze Member

Why not just buy two of the cheap plastic pans and forget about shaving?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

When they come out with the "horn of plenty" powder dispenser then I'll buy one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

GG-- you are about the 15ht person I have seen with the same reaction after reading that article -- mebbe someone will get me one for my birthday next week [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

JB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Grouper,
Excellent review, now one thing... What do I do with my virtually previous system [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I saw the new system at the SHOT show and was completely impressed, and ticked because I had bought the original one a year or so ago. I rarely use it because the damn scale is so slow to setup and also I have to get out the instruction manuals for the scale and the powder dispenser each time and start from scratch. When the older system is cranked up it works nicely but they certainly improved with the new one.
Thanks again for good info.