Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Wind Meter, best overall buy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Bronze Member

Wind Meter, best overall buy??

Who makes the best wind meter? By best I mean, easiest to see, use, etc? Price is also a factor, what would be a best buy overall, performance Versus price?

wind meter plus altimeter?

For those of you with wind meters your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Wind Meter, best overall buy??

I have one of the cheap Bruntons. I think around $60 dollars at Midway. It works well. It is not the perfect answer to doping the wind but it sure takes some of the guessing out of it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

A bit on the pricey side, but the kestrel 4000 has wind plus everything else you need.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Look at what you really need and buy for that - some of the brands have way more capabilities than we require, why pay for that. I have used five brands of electronic wind meters, just to learn about them and compare. I would not worry about accuracy, they all gave the same readings during the same conditions - or so close it would not matter.
Meters don't tell you what is going on between you and the target, but they are great for increasing your awareness of the wind and what it is doing. I like to know what the range of the gusts is, what the average is and what the temp is. Kestral and Brunton make very nice instruments, don't be afraid of buying the basic, cheapest model because that is probably all you need.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Sponsor

Dude,
Long time. I will be in Boise shooting the Id. state Sniper match next month. I have a Kestrel Skymate. They go for about 100.00 and do everything you would need. I have had great results from mine and would give it the value / performance rating. I use mine in conjunction with my Del pocket pc and ex-bal program.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Im using a wind meter designed for golfers that radio shack sells. Got it on sell for $22.
Its more rugged than my kestrel 2000, only slightly bigger, and it gives the same wind velocities. It can be a little off on the direction, but I don't really care about that anyway. Its backlit for shooting in the dusky dark, and its got a red LED flashlight on the bottom for reading my map on the way to setup in the morning.
It does not do barometric pressure, or temp (the "weatherstation" on the wall at the house does all of that) for input for the various ballistic programs for palm top computers, but for just a windspeed reading it works great!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Shawn -
[ QUOTE ]
I will be in Boise shooting the Id. state Sniper match next month.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is that match, and who do I contact down here for more info? I have been wanting to go to it for a few years now.

Kind of off topic, not trying to hijack this thread. If you could shhot me an email about it - junkmail1369(at)velocitus(dot)net.

Thanks,

Alan