Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Is a Winchester action worth building on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Is a Winchester action worth building on

Win. Laredo 300 win. Mag that doesn't shoot to my standards. Is this action worth trying to build a good long range rifle on?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is a Winchester action worth building on

Is this action worth trying to build a good long range rifle on?

Yep!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanks, it's my first Winchester bolt gun and not very knowledgeable about there actions. They are hard to find around here so I took a chance and bought it used even with some neglect to the crown. It felt to good to sit back down
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

The Laredo is a model 70 action with nothing against it that I know of.

In the hands of a good rifle smith there would be not much of a reason why is shouldn't be made into a shooter.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

The Winchester action is a good action to build a LR rig depending on which generation action you have. The Pre-64"s are superb, the push feed models tend to have a weak extractor design and the earliest models, a sloppy bolt. The late model Pre 64 style are good actions, however, it's a good idea to have your gunsmith braze the serrated sleeve that press fits the bolt handle to the bolt body. I'm not sure if this has been corrected on later models, but these have been known to loosen at the sleeve on rare occasion. It's a simple step, and once done makes it a great action.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Absolutely YES!!!!!
At one time, Win Model-70's were one of THE go to actions to build on. Between my dad & I, we have quite a few Model-70's from all generations. Well all except the newest ones from FN. I'm sure well own some of them too as soon as we get a decent economy again. (construction is tough when noone has any reason, or incentive to build.....) Maybe well get a couple next year if all goes right.
But anyway Heck Ya! You've got a solid platform to build on. I'm a die hard, & very bias Winchester freak tho, so my response may be slightly swayed....

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"