Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Win. Pre 64 Model 70 conversion(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Win. Pre 64 Model 70 conversion(s)?

No way! Model 70 actions are out there for $300-500. Those rifles are worth more than a few times that, and are sought out. They just don't make them like that any more. IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

What everybody else said.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

I should also included. I did a coversion on one of my pre 64"s and i'm sorry to this day that i ever did.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
PUBLISHER

test post

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Bronze Member

I find that people that ask these kinds of questions usually already know the answer to said question and are just looking for people to confirm their thoughts.

Put em in the safe. Take em out every once in a while and let em sit on the couch with you. Put em back in the safe. You may not feel that your are utilizing them, but some day someone will be so happy you left them that way. Maybe even feel some connection to a man they never even met, just heard stories about.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

They are worth far more in one piece than tore down for the actions. Even if the barrels are getting a bit rough or long in the tooth. If you need actions and cannot afford to buy something else than sell them and let them go to a collector and take the money and buy the parts and have a new rifle built. You should be able to get a long way down the road towards a custom build by selling them and taking the money and putting it on a new build. IF they are in fact target models and haven't been messed with their worth even more than a standard Pre-64 Mod 70.

All that said I will say this. Even though the Mod 70's are prized for their quality they are still old technology. Many of the new actions out there are by far better quality. Build yourself a new gun and let the collectors smile over a new acquisition. You both will be happy.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
They are worth far more in one piece than tore down for the actions. Even if the barrels are getting a bit rough or long in the tooth. If you need actions and cannot afford to buy something else than sell them and let them go to a collector and take the money and buy the parts and have a new rifle built. You should be able to get a long way down the road towards a custom build by selling them and taking the money and putting it on a new build. IF they are in fact target models and haven't been messed with their worth even more than a standard Pre-64 Mod 70.

All that said I will say this. Even though the Mod 70's are prized for their quality they are still old technology. Many of the new actions out there are by far better quality. Build yourself a new gun and let the collectors smile over a new acquisition. You both will be happy.
I agree with everything you said except for the Pre-64 action being old technology. If you want that style of action, the Pre-64 is the standard by which all others are judged. Comparing that action design to the current knock offs including the current
Winchester Model 70 action, the current actions take shortcuts. Take a close look at the way the bolt handles are mated to the bolt body as well as the smoothness, and feeding, of the current designs. I have not been impressed by the Kimber, Montana, etc. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt