Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Wildcat bullets consistency and accuracy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Wildcat bullets consistency and accuracy!

I have been working with some .284 wildcats in the 169.5 grain target style bullets with thin jackets and to say the least I have been pleased! The consistency has been great and accuracy is proving the same! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I measured 20 base to ogive and had only 4 to vary from .768 two of which were over .001 and two were under .001! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] The weights were pretty much the same with the average weight being 169.6. This measurement is over the speced 169.5 but was so consistent I don't think it will bother me. I had 5 out of twenty weigh different from the average! Only 5! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I checked some other brands and will say that these wildcats beat them hands down in consistency! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Accuracy is average for my rig but I think with a little more tweaking of seating depth and a few other variables they will be one of if not the most accurate bullet I have put down my tube! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I will have some more info soon and If I can answer any questions I will!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wildcat bullets consistency and accuracy!

Glad they you like them.

In another thread about Richard's bullets i had measured some bearing lenghths on the remaing bullets i had left and had some deviation that i thought was unusual for his bullets and talked to Richard. He said his die went bad and waiting on a new one.

Try some differant seating depths and maybe pushing them a little harder *** if you don't see any pressure signs****

Keep us up to date.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I got a package of .30 calibers 169.5 RRBT HP yesterday and did some checks last evening. I measured the base to ogive on all 100 bullets, the general variation was plus or minus .001 with one going minus .002 out for a maximum spread of .004...pretty good in my book. I decided I won't worry about base to ogive segregation while loading. I measured overall length and again thay are all very close in length plus or minus a couple thousandths.

I was suprised that there was no obvious Hollow Point meplat, the bullets appear to be fully encased in copper. I sectioned four of them looking for contruction details and can plainly see the bullets are formed with a closed meplat vice open as in the Sierra MKs.

I'll test them for precision soon.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Dave you should be pleased with the accuracy on those wildcats. I just made a few calculations and made a couple of test loads and they were shooting half inch right out of the gate! I have some more testing to do when the weather breaks and want to try their accuracy at longer distances also. Will report soon.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

OK I have a little update on my wildcats in .284 and .224.

The 169.5's are showing good accuracy at extended ranges ( out to 600 so far ). My load of 100 grains of 50 bmg powder is netting an average of 3150 fps( thats minus 50 fps using a shooting chrony and hodgdon lists 3120 for the 168 SMK for the same charge but with 24 inch tube and mine is 26 so I figure that was about right) and under half moa at 100 yards and around 2/3 to 3/4 moa at 600. I'm pleased with these!
My 45 grain .224 have been shooting great as well! My best loads so far have been 41 grains of H-380 lit with a CCI BR2 which put me in the high 3800 fps range with under half moa at 100 and the load od 33.3 grains of Vihta Vouri N 130 lit by the same primer giving me a 50 to 75 fps advantage over the H-380 powder and 1 tenth smaller groups.
The 52 grain has performed just as good as the 45 grainers with just a little smaller groups with the same powders as above. I only need to work on my seating depths and then push the targets out further for more testing on these. After I get my loads tailored the way my rifle likes them I'm going to post some pics of the targets and possibly get a few unsuspecting yotes at greater distances for some performance factors on larger game besides birds and cats from one of my earlier posts.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7RUMloader,

2/3 to 3/4 moa from basically a factory rifle is very respectible for sure. Congrats on the loading and shooting.

It s always nice to be working with quality bullets as well. Have you run any drop tests from 100 to 600 yards with this big 169.5? Just curious how they are flying in that big RUM.

I ordered in a box of those same bullets as a give for a friend but I have not shot them. In fact I believe that was the first box of bullets I ever ordered from Richard!!

Again, good shooting!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

No drop tests yet Kirby. I spent too much time trying to figure out which mark to use in my reticle for 600 yards with the 169.5. My reticle is setup for 140's going around 3400 fps. I ended up just walking it in and by that time I was out of bullets I had loaded. I'm working up a new batch for a future shoot ( hopefully next weekend ) and will hash out some drop tests then. Were gonna setup at 100, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards and get drops on all the distances. I only carried 20 last time but I'm loading at least 50 this trip so I can get a couple of groups at each distance for averages. I know my velocity is a steady 3150 with my BMG powder and sd and es are good. I can get it a little faster with retumbo but the BMG proves more accurate so I give up the 60, 70 fps for a few thousanths to a tenth smaller groups. I'm working on my 22.250 as well trying to get some long range results on those too! I had put it to the side since the return of my RUM and working OT but it has been dusted off and is ready to go after a little seating depth changing to find the sweet spot. I will keep posting on my findings as I get them.