Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What's the purpose??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's the purpose??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Say, that is a fine looking rifle in the picture Looks like maybe it was taken in Chads' shop?

Your bolt knob looks big, but it doesn't look like the handle itself protudes out laterally away from the gun too far.?
How do you like the Direct Mount? He's putting one on my other rifle that's in the process at the moment. Only bad thing I've read about them is one guy said it mounted the scope too high for him. Any thoughts/comments on that?

Thanks for the kind words, yup that is Chad's OLD shop, he's in a different building now. the bolt knob isn't quite as big as it looks, it's on a Holland bolt handle (IIRC) attached to a PTG oversized bolt, Chad's flutes & striker assemblies; it doesn't stick out much farther than normal, but the size of the knob still dictates it be removed for hard case travels.

As to the Direct Mount, Chad actually talked me into it & i'm really happy with it, I DID have to raise the cheek piece to get proper alignment, so that is definitely a caveat. But the rest of the mount is pure NightForce, well made & thought out.

P.S. if you haven't dealt with Chad yet, I HIGHLY recommend him, I can't say enough good words.

Last edited by Outlaw6.0; 06-06-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

They are specifically designed to hang up on packs, clothing, shrubs, and foliage. Also to rub against you uncomfortably when carried for long periods of time and prevent the rifle from being put into a scabbard when hunting from horseback.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
They are specifically designed to hang up on packs, clothing, shrubs, and foliage. Also to rub against you uncomfortably when carried for long periods of time and prevent the rifle from being put into a scabbard when hunting from horseback.

Lol, well put, I can't argue with that. They may not fit into a leather scabbard but I carry a similar setup in a nylon scabbard attached to my backpack with no worries.

My rigs that are built like the one in the picture are purpose built, that rifle you all see weighs over #15 with optics, you don't want to be carrying that around allday, just sit on a hill and glass. (WAY easier on your back)

I have a few more suited to horses, scabbards & all of that wonder foliage you mentioned.