Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What's the best electronic scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: What\'s the best electronic scale?

I have a Lyman 500 grain electronic scale and I really like it. I have noticed on occasion that wanders a bit. Sometimes it gets frustrating but about 80-90% of the time it stays right on, it sure is a lot faster than using a beam scale.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:44 PM

The Ohaus Navigator is the best I have ever used. Kind of pricey at about 395.00
Old 11-26-2002, 06:57 PM

Have had a lyman since they came out and once you get used to the warmup as mentioned has performed well for several years. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Would you mind if I phone you each time I forget those instructions - probably only a five hour time difference so no call would be before 2.00 a.m. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] How is the winter up there, you still waiting on snow and cold?

I had a Lyman 1000 and it is a very nice scale, just the wrong color for my bench so I went with a green one. We have a couple of the bigger RCBS scales and they work well enough.
The warm-up idea bugs me - I should have thought about that. Suppose it tells you in the instructions but never read them...
Old 11-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Is the same warm up time required for the 500 grain model, anyone know?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Brent, I was already aware of the warmup time required for the electronic units---it's quite common. My dad's old RCBS beam is NOT working well. I think it has to do with stickage on the beam's pivot points. I've tried it with a thin coat of oil, and without(cleaned with Gunscrubber) to no avail. As you trickle the last little bit and you over fill by only a few granuals, it will sometimes race far higher than it should(indicating stickage). I have used this beam scale for YEARS but I need to be much more precise now that I have two benchrest rifles(6mm PPC and 6mm Ackley). I knew that the Pact and RCBS are identical(internals) but I was also considering the new Dillon scale with more capacity(it'd look good next to my 550 too). However, purchasing the Pact scale(not the BBK) and using that until I feel the necessity to buy the auto trickler would definitely keep all my options open. I just needed some opinions about what others were using. Thanks! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

I hate instruction too. These are really pretty simple and quick after a few times though.

1-calibrate
2-yes
3-displays (0) press calibrate with zero weight on it
4-displays (20) press calibrate with 20 on it
5-displays (50) press calibrate with 50 on it
6-displays (70) press calibrate with both weights on it together
7-displays (0) press again with zero wt on it

for the dispensor to work, just hit the calibrate button on the scale three times until it says trickle, then hit yes.

1-dump in the powder and hit calibrate on the dispensor. 150-200gr and it's done.
2-punch the weight in grains (92.0) including the tenth then ENTER.

The memory light comes on if you've entered OK.

Calibrate in either grains or grams, makes no difference either.

If you need to dispense something more than the 99.9gr max, just weigh it up on the scale and hit the memory button on the dispensor, it will dump or trickle up to the new memory figure.

I know, you guys already knew this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]