Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What's the best electronic scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

What\'s the best electronic scale?

I'm tired of balancing the beam after each powder charge! What's the best electronic scale and why? Thanks for any comments.....I will be purchasing one SOON!!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What\'s the best electronic scale?

MC,
I use the Powder Pro (RCBS, PACT same thing) and I'll never go back. I got the dispensor too and use it primaraly to trickle after dumping the major charge on a modified Redding 3K measurer to within a grain or two. It works fast this way.

As the scale warms up after it's turned on it is stable, if you start weighing things before it warms up your loads will gradually get lighter and lighter. As it warms up it the test weight gets heavier and heavier over the next 20-30 minutes, then it is stable. You can use the test weight to see how far off it is getting as it warms up.

My 20 gram test weight weighs 308.7gr after it is calibrated as soon as it's turned on, it gradually weighs up to about 309.0 to 309.2gr when it stops and stabilizes, then it is calibrated again and your ready to go. Calibration takes about 30 seconds. I use the 308.7gr check weight periodically to verify all's ok as I go.

I bought my father one for Christmas last year, I knew he would never spend the $$ on one. He loves his too.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Not trying to cause any trouble, but, you have to wait 30 Min for your scale to warm up before you start reloading? This sounds a bit excessive for me, since my beam scale and powder measure are already "warmed up" when I'm ready to reload.

I use my powder measure a great deal, and I don't weigh but every 5th charge, the biggest reason I see for an electronic scale would be for weighing cases.

Just my opinion.

Jim
Old 11-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

That's just the way it is I'm afaid. One learns to plan ahead. Turn it on before dinner, reload after. If I'm planning on reloading first thing in the morning I'll leave it on all night so it's warm already. It can be a pain, just thought you'd want to know how it went getting started with one.

I could throw all mine too, but I just like to see the numbers on each one, besides it can weigh and trickle them as fast as I can throw the next charge at the same time so dumping it in the pan is pretty much the added time is all, so why not weigh em then?

Beam scales are a pain, but I still use one here and there. I'm spoiled now. It really isn't that hard to think about when you need to turn it on so it's ready either, trust me it's not that big of deal. My cases are all prept ahead of time and when I'm ready to load I'm ready to throw powder and seat bullets too.

Mine sets on the loading bench 6" away from my Dillon RL550 too and the zero is unaffected, the dispensor is about 1" away from it.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Very interesting notes about giving your electronic scale time to warm-up - I have never thought that might be a factor. Sometimes have had the kind of changes you mention and did not realize that might be the reason. Will try letting it sit for a half hour before using it - I went back to the 10-10 as my RCBS electronic scale seemed to be wandering too much. Also I usually forget how to get the electronic going (calibrated) and have to read the instructions each time, too many buttons to push, too much reading - especially for the dispenser and trickler!

We don't try to make bench-rest ammo - don't do some of the accuracy tricks and procedures - but we want good shooting practice ammo for all our .308 Win. LR practicing. I check the measure to make sure it is throwing 45 Varget as it should be and then crank - don't bother checking powder weights after that. The progressive press has a powder checker die on it so I can visually see that each case has a powder charge and that it is not significantly different than the witness ring for that charge. Can average 100 rounds in twenty minutes and it shoots well.
Electronic scales are time savers when weighing bullets or cases, like you I find the 10-10 quicker for occasional jobs.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Brent, you're just a wealth of information! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

I have had a bunch of them... the Pact and RCBS are both made by Pact. Avoid the small Pact and RCBS... they are junk.

I had a large RCBS, and it was very good, and never drifted.

But I sold it because I wanted one that used a battery so I could load at the range... so I bought the Dillon Elliminator... POS!! It constantly drifts and never settles down. Now I use it to sort cases.

So I finely bought a Lyamn 1000LE. Graeat measure... stable, doesn't drift, and comes with a pan cover that is wind proof, and you can dribble powder through a hole in the top of the cover.

If I were to get one electronic scale, it would be the Lyman 1000... I would never get the Dillon again.

CatShooter

LRH member #23