Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What rifle coating do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What rifle coating do you like?

I was told cerakote wasn't paintable. I wish it was, cause id do the flutes in a different color than the rest of the barrel.
I'm in the same boat threejones. Trying to decide....

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Winmag...
How about Flat Dark Earth barrel with Graphite Black flutes and a OD green snakeskin overlay!! All Cerakote. Actually pretty easy once you know how!This is a savage barrel, but have also donethis on an interrupted fluted Brux barrel and it was sweet!!

Ben
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What rifle coating do you like?-191.jpg   What rifle coating do you like?-192.jpg  

What rifle coating do you like?-272.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic72 View Post
Winmag...
How about Flat Dark Earth barrel with Graphite Black flutes and a OD green snakeskin overlay!! All Cerakote. Actually pretty easy once you know how!This is a savage barrel, but have also donethis on an interrupted fluted Brux barrel and it was sweet!!

Ben

showoff! That looks great! You need to post a lesson.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic72 View Post
Winmag...

Ben
Holy cow!!!
That settles it. I'm going to shop around in this cerakote idea. I'm sold! I just need to find the right place to get it done like that.
Ben, do you do this commercially?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Winmag, you should have no problem finding someone close to do your coating. Cerakote is made by NIC industries in Oregon. If you go to their website, they have a map of Cerakote applicators. I have used KG Gunkote, Duracoat, and Cerakote. Cerakote is definitely the most durable product made for coating firearms.
Ben
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Winmag, you have 5 applicators within 40 minutes of your house! That is very good odds that you can find one to do exactly what you need that is also competent!! By the way, don't get caught up in the "certified" applicator game. They have paid $1500 to take a class at NIC industries, but that does not mean that the gunsmith that is not certified is not as "qualified" to apply Cerakote. Taking a class cannot replace years of learned application techniques or having an artistic ability to know what works. I do recommend taking the class for anyone wanting to apply Cerakote on a professional level, just don't disqualify the ones that don't!! Good luck....and by the way, I always enjoy reading your posts!!! Your avatar has always caught my eye....as I've ended up in identical spots!!!
Ben
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Gold Member

Ok Elko, I'm sold as well. I might even go take the class. I recon after 15years of professional painting(and several years of f___ing around with artsy stuff) I outta be able to handle it. That stick is way too good lookin for me not to try it. Are you self taught, or did you take the class? (just wondering if the class is worth taking, or if I should wing it)