Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What rifle coating do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

What rifle coating do you like?

I've got a couple ugly rigs that I use for predator control that need a little facelift. I'd thought about Duracoat, Ceracoat, or Gun Kote. I've gotten mixed reviews about all three chipping, fading, etc. Gun Kote is starting to look toughest, but I'd love a little feed back from guys who have used and abused this stuff. Which one will hold up the best to heavy use/abuse.
Thanx
Cody
Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: What rifle coating do you like?

I did a rifle in black and titanium Gun-Kote .
It was very easy to do and seems tough as nails.
I had to buy some aluminum oxide to blast it with and an air brush to paint it on.
I bought the 8oz. size and it looks like there is enough to do maybe 4-5 more guns.
Cliff
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
I did a rifle in black and titanium Gun-Kote .
It was very easy to do and seems tough as nails.
I had to buy some aluminum oxide to blast it with and an air brush to paint it on.
I bought the 8oz. size and it looks like there is enough to do maybe 4-5 more guns.
Cliff
Thanx Cliff, anybody else?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

I just bought some duracoat for my 700 sps today. Shake N Spray kit with green, brown, tan and black for digital camo. Only $70. mainly bought duracoat because lauer custom weaponry is only 5 miles from my house so i was able to pick the colors i wanted in the kit. And I can talk to tell them face to face on all the tips and tricks for how they do it. Going to paint it this coming weekend.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdeerkiller View Post
I just bought some duracoat for my 700 sps today. Shake N Spray kit with green, brown, tan and black for digital camo. Only $70. mainly bought duracoat because lauer custom weaponry is only 5 miles from my house so i was able to pick the colors i wanted in the kit. And I can talk to tell them face to face on all the tips and tricks for how they do it. Going to paint it this coming weekend.
Sweet, let's see some pics when it's done. Then go beat the snot out of it and give us a review (or at least the review part)
Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

I used Gun Kote in brown to finish a custom 10/22 Race gun. It came out pretty damn good. All the different colors they have let you get a real custom look. I can't say how it holds up to any abuse, cause there ain't any abuse on the 10/22. You have to follow directions, so you need to blast with aluminum oxide, have a pretty good spray gun, compressor with air dryer and oven to bake it in. I've been thinking I might try Cerecoat but haven't yet. Have two Vanguards that I going to refinish. Good luck!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

I have cerakote, and I have some wear at trigger guard and bolt. I use my stuff. I have noticed blueing holding better on some rifles, my Weatherbys are good and I have worn it off. The guy that coated mine told me that different colors are better for wear, he has been at it awhile.