Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What length of bipod is prefered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: What length of bipod is prefered

I'm in pretty good shape and don't have much of a belly. I usually use my 6-9 in the 9 position. But sometimes I wish for a little more. I think I'll go with the 9-13 swivel this go around and maybe pickup a 6-9 swivel later if I still feel the need for it. Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

I have owned a Harris 6-9 as well as a 9-13 for many years. Always seemed to have the wrong one on when I needed it. For the last 2 years I have been using the Stoney Point swivel bipod (short prone model). The legs are flexible and can be spread apart to get lower or brought together to raise your rifle. Are they as sturdy as a Harris - NO - but they sure work just fine - particularly if you use a rear bag. And they pull off and go back on in less than a second on your rifle. Not only that I can finally use a bipod when I'm a horse back and need to scabbard the rifle without untightening a bolt that attaches to your swivel. Nothing beats a Harris if it fits your needs.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I have owned a Harris 6-9 as well as a 9-13 for many years. Always seemed to have the wrong one on when I needed it. For the last 2 years I have been using the Stoney Point swivel bipod (short prone model). The legs are flexible and can be spread apart to get lower or brought together to raise your rifle. Are they as sturdy as a Harris - NO - but they sure work just fine - particularly if you use a rear bag. And they pull off and go back on in less than a second on your rifle. Not only that I can finally use a bipod when I'm a horse back and need to scabbard the rifle without untightening a bolt that attaches to your swivel. Nothing beats a Harris if it fits your needs.
I'm kinda rockn the same situation. I ended up moving my 9-13 to the back stud and have the front stud set-up to snap on a Stoney point folding sticks for sitting and the 9-13 folds forward beside the others mount. Works great for coyote calling where I some times go prone for some stands or a longer shot but I mostly shoot sitting.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
For my hunting situation, I use 13 1/2" to 27" (H25CS) that allows me prone to sitting position.
+1 to the 13-27