Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What is a great rifle but is not high in price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is a great rifle but is not high in price?

Is this a "Package Gun", with the Simmons scope?

If it is then you have aluminum rings and bases which are junk! Savage does NOT Loc-Tite the screws and they can come loose.

Buy some good bases and rings ( steel IMO ), and make sure the front base screw is not bottomed out, and use loc-tite.
If you can afford a better scope then that would be next.

If you have a Tupperware stock then a Bi-Pod may be a little bit jumpy! I bed the Tupperware stocks and add a third sling swivel just in front of the recoil lug and it makes for a more solid rest.

edge.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

email is in my profile.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 PM

Edge has it right. Watch the stock and the scope & rings. They make a great barrel & action IMO, but they have to cut the cost of manufacture somewhere, and those are it....
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok thanks guys. Also, Maico, the things I use to clean my weapon is Remington 40 X cleaner, and Rem Oil. They both work great from what I know and from the reviews I have seen. My scope is a bushnell, can't remember which one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Once I find out what kind of Bushnell scope it is I will tell you guys.

Hopefully everything works out and again, thanks for the help. I think this place is great and people like you will keep me coming back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Also, can anyone recommend a Savage rifle that they have used or know someone that used and it is great?

[/ QUOTE ]

The model 11 Savage is a great rifle for the price. Very accurate right out of the box. I just purchased 2. One off of auctionarms.com and the other from gunbroker.com. One in a .308 and the other in a 7mm-08. One was 349 and the other 375 plus about 15 dollars in shipping. Both NIB. Look around on those websites and you can find those deals not to infrequently. Heck, for that much money, you could take the actions and build a custom rifle around them. For me, I am going to leave them alone, as they are accurate enough for what I am going to use them for.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 AM

By the way, both of those rifles are in a wooden stock that is nicely finished.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry for the extremely late reply but thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

I agree with Savage, but don't overlook the Weatherby Vanguard. And of course the Rem 700.