Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What is the 7mm ultra mag good for

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 PM

What is the 7mm ultra mag good for

My brother bough a 7mm RUM and don't know if it is to big for deer or to small for moose, or bear.So could some one tell me what it is good for?

Thanks
Cephas
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: What is the 7mm ultra mag good for

most anything you hit in the right place.
while there are "better" calibers in the .30 and .338 range for moose, the 7mm will put a hurt on most anything in north america.

side note..."too big for dear" whats that? just kidding, it'll work perfectly.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the info. What scope do you think would be good for this gun for under $300?
Thanks
Cephas
Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

boy, thats a big question. totally depends on how you are going to use it.

Alot of guys will say don't bother with something that cheap, and save up for a good leupold or nightforce.
I would agree with them after replacing all my "cheap" scopes with nightforce and good leupolds.

But there is nothing wrong with nikon glass, and I think you could get something in the $300 range. to tell you the truth I have no idea what is a good scope in that price range because I havn't looked in a long time.

go ahead and use the search button on here, and type in scope, and then start narrowing your search from there. there is a TON of info on the this site, keep reading you'll learn a lot.

good luck
Old 11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

For that price range, look on Ebay for a Leupold VX-III or Nikon Monarch.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The 7 RUM is not too small for moose. Moose are not as hard to kill as you would think. The key with moose is this:

1. Use a well constructed bullet with a moderate weight for penetration. Such as the 160 ACCUBOND or Partition or the 160 X bullet if they shoot well in your rifle. Also, dont be afraid of using good old soft nose jacketed spire points either!

2. Hit em in the right place. Double lungs, heart, high shoulder ect...
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
My brother bough a 7mm RUM and don't know if it is to big for deer or to small for moose, or bear.So could some one tell me what it is good for?

Thanks

Not sure....maybe you should send it to me and I could find a use for it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Should be good for everything in the lower 48, and probably moose as well. There are alot of good 7mm bullets available.