Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What 4wheeler do you use and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What 4wheeler do you use and why?

I built my ATV trailer with the 44" max width requirement in the national forest in mind.

I understand that they can be wider now but I would check just to make sure if anyone
is going to build one.

The first configuration Used the 8"x8'' tires used on the pop up trailers. they worked great
but if I lowered the air pressure to less than 15 pounds they couldn't keep the bead seal and
would go flat. (The reason for low air pressure is the sharp rocks where we hunt will cut the
tires if the inflation is very much.

I also used 2500 pound capacity springs to Carry around 1200 pounds of corn and empty it was
like it had no springs.

So to correct this, I modified a set of hubs to fit a Honda ATV rim and the big ATV tires have
solved all of the problems and goes through Mud and snow much better and I can still place
25- 50pound bags of corn in the trailer without over loading it.

I use it for hauling everything including 3 or 4 hunters if nessary and it doesn't beat them up
like it did with the regular tires and it will Carry all of the goose decoys you can use through the
marsh or flooded rice fields with little effort.

The big ATV tires just fit under the trailer without having to use fenders that can get damaged
going through tight places.

I jokingly call it the "Swamp Thing" but I would not do without it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

We are running the 8" wheels on ours with innertubes, measurement from fender to fender measures right at 46" which gives us a 4" tolerance. Bed sze is 36"x 60" we use 1200lb springs (ea) & 20" side boards.

I completely agree that w/o a load in the bed they don't ride very well & as you said I don't know how we ever lived without them.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

I finally made my decision. Found a good deal on an 03 honda foreman with 600 hours. So itll be hauling a lot of bait!

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I finally made my decision. Found a good deal on an 03 honda foreman with 600 hours. So itll be hauling a lot of bait!

1903? Honda? Really? I'm glad you bought your lady a four wheeler, when are you going to get one?

lol, Sorry Mike, I had to poke fun. Hope it treats you well.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

When you get a mans gun ill get a mans 4wheeler

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
When you get a mans gun ill get a mans 4wheeler

Oh man! I'm still laughing That was right in the heart....

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Lol its all i had