Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What 4wheeler do you use and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What 4wheeler do you use and why?

I have a honda forman rubicon 500, best atv I have ever owned. Very dependable.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Outlaw, spectacular scenery! Looks like the Kingquad is earning its keep. Great pictures. Thanks.

Hoovertx4, one of the guys I used to hunt with has a Rubicon 500. I never know of him doing any maintenance on it, but it was still running the last I know of.

Liked your post. Brevity works! I've got to try it sometime.....

Good thread, good replies.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Outlaw, spectacular scenery! Looks like the Kingquad is earning its keep. Great pictures. Thanks.

Good thread, good replies.

Tom

That pic with the two quads in the deep snow was a long day. That pic was taken at about hour 5 of our 6-8 mile ride into camp, that says a little about how the travel was fairing That little trailer had a flat tire about 5 miles into it, we did the normal tire change in 12" of snow (three guys rolled it onto it's side...full). The tire change tech (for lack of a better term) working in a frenzy, put the spare on backwards & upon torquing the lug nuts, sheared the valve stem off. So, he made it another mile before the tire was gone & the rim was ruined. We left the trailer on the trail side, made it the rest of the way to camp & a buddy & I returned to retreive the wagon. He ran his winch line over his grill guard & back down to the spindle area of the axle & picked up that side of the wagon. We essentially went into camp like a rail road train, which actually worked better that I ever could have guessed. When I started to get stuck plowing snow, he was able to push from the rear. When he spun out in the ruts, I had enough momentum to pull him out.

We built those trailers for every member in our group except one. They are a godsend (& usually overloaded)

Here's a tailgate shot of one of our more fancy rigs. Tailgate, side boards & floor are all tongue & groove , Hinged tailgates, enclosed box in front to hold 4-1.5 gallon fuel can.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What 4wheeler do you use and why?-hunting-2011-010.jpg  

Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
enclosed box in front to hold 4-1.5 gallon fuel can.
Instead of Peters Wagon it should say Peters flamable wagon.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Instead of Peters Wagon it should say Peters flamable wagon.

Gotta have extra fuel my friend. We enclosed that one to keep the mud off of it, works good. When you get to camp, you take them out of course.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

I hardly ever see a Ute pulling a trailer. They can haul just about anything you need to. There is a limit to how much crap you can pile on an Atv though, and a trailer is really handy when you're working it. My brothers and I built 2 small lease trailers in 1995, and they still get used almost every trip for hauling corn, moving feeders, rustling up firewood, etc. One of my redneck son-in-laws built a seat for my grandaughter when she was 6 yrs old that ties down on my trailer, and all 3 of them go hunting together. My daughter and son-in-law on the 4-wheeler, and my little grandaughter on the trailer, happier than a clam at high tide. It's a sight to warm an old man's heart.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

The UTV's share mixed emotions where we elk hunt. Thus far, I've pulled two Polaris Rangers off the mountain with toasted transmissions. One was a six wheeler & I can't comment on how/why cause I don't know. The other was a standard sidexside Ranger & Severely overloaded in over 12"of snow- driver error. I did use our Rhino for a year & pulled a trailer up the hill, low gear & 4wd. Be nice to it & you are fine. The one downside is ground clearance, I had to replace the driver's side floor board after putting a rock through it. That will scare the snot out of you!