Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

What 4wheeler do you use and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

What 4wheeler do you use and why?

I am thinking about buying a 4wheeler, primarily to make checking/restocking my bear bait a faster process and getting on some of the trails that are for ATV's only.
I am looking at the Honda fourman and the rubicon but am also interested in the Arctic cats. What do you guys use and why? How dependable is what you use? any issues?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: What 4wheeler do you use and why?

have owned
suzuki-------OK
yamaha-------OK
kawasaki------brute power, not very dependable
honda----------"clunky", slow,last forever
after hunting in canada for bear 2 yrs ago and using guides Can-Am, I traded off last yamaha Grizzley and bought 650 Can Am, love it. the best of all of 'em for me. Just wish I'd have gotten the "power steering" after driving a buddies with it, wish mine had it also.
also, 400 cc is to small
650-700 is just right, 800cc and above is wasted power.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Any where you go in this part of Idaho all you see is Polaris. I had a 1996 Polaris 500 and rode the crap out of it and in 2007 bought a new Polaris 500. Here on the ranch for me and my neighbors the quad is the main transportation. Ride every day. Most of the working quads are the 6 wheel type with the older 500's and the newer 550's right there with them. The bigger 800's and such are more of a fun quad then a working machine. My buddy runs the local quad shop and he says expect 5000 hours out of the new machines. I average about 200 hours a year so if his statement is true have a ways to go.

Good luck with your choice. A neighbor had a two Can Am's for awhile and I was not impressed. Neither was he.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

I have a Yamaha big bear 350 4x4 I bought new in 1999. It has never had a problem. On its third set of ITP mud lite tires. I think it's the best because it's paid off. If I were to buy a new one now it would be a Polaris sportsman 800. My buddies all have them and they haul azz!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Mostly we run Polaris. My partners 6 wheeler is great once it's off loaded, kind of an awkward size for transport, but sure wish we had it back in our bait days. My 500 goes as good as I need. My girlfriend has the 800, you're a big guy I'm betting just sitting on the 800 you'll like it better. If you going to ride summer check out some of the reviews regarding heat to the right leg on the 800, it can be significant, great plowing snow, but if it was a summer ride I'd have to figure out a fix. Couple of Yamaha's have given good use, smaller Arctic Cat has given good life. 2 Hondas 1 got stolen before much use and the other gave up a bit early. I can't recall the size but it was smaller. gave a couple of good seasons, and has been out for long enough I don't remember the size. I think the Polaris rides a bit comfier for an old guy. Just seems to be more Polaris here. I think my 500 has about 4000 miles on it, my partners 6 wheeler about 8000. He put tracks on it this last winter, spun the transmission can't say how/if the tracks played into it. Got that replaced made it 27 miles and the engine seized. Likely cause was the service guy failed to put oil in it. So much for wolf season.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Bronze Member

Have to throw my vote to the Polaris. I have a 500 that has seen alot of use coyote hunting. Never given me a bit of problem.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

I would stay away from the cats, seen lots of problems with them. Polaris is good, but there bigger and heavier than most others, which I find a big negative. I've owned a kawasaki prairie 700 since 04, it has 7400 miles on it now and the only thing I've ever done is regular maintenance. Another big + for the kawasaki's is they have a lower center of gravity than most all the others. I think they're all good, just a few things to think about.