Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Weatherby VS Sako

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2002, 02:24 AM

Re: Weatherby VS Sako

Thanks for the info Zebra. I checked out the Prairie Gun Works site, and those rifles look good. All said, will it shoot $2000 better than a Sako Varmint? I asked for a quote to see how much it will cost in real life. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Is the Weatherby .243 twist on the SVM a good ratio? I don't know anything about that kind of stuff. I like the SVM...

But..I'm leaning toward the SAKO Varmint Laminated in .243. Anyone heard of aftermarket Synthetic stocks for these guns? Darn that 23 5/8" barrel!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] What's wrong with these guys? Why can't I get what I want? WAH WAH!!
[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ 12-26-2002: Message edited by: Davo ]
Old 12-26-2002, 01:17 PM

Davo, I was only telling you about PGW to show you that there are gun people in Canada. I see no reason why you could not purchase a remington 700 and send it to a gunsmith in the US.

FWI, I did not buy a gun from PGW I purchased an action.

Check my gunsmith dgsrifle.com. He charged me a very fair price to rebarrel my rifle, glassbed, true it up and anything else it needed.

If you buy a Sako or a Weatherby you will end up having work done to them as well.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:29 PM

Roger that! and thanks for the info.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

I know this isn't what your wallet wanted to hear, but...you might wanna consider John M.'s advice--custom jobs, once you own one...you're hooked. The MAIN satisfying feature comes in that you can do whatever you wish; i.e. barrel length, cartridge type, neck tolerances, throat angle, trigger, action size, loading port size, right or left bolt, twist rate, groove number, stock dimensions...see?--it's like playing Scrabble... Currently, those great folks out in Idaho <makers of BAT actions> are making me one really weird looking action, and it has a bunch of strange features that I'd never get with a factory option. The BIG advantage is barrels--if you don't have the money to get a custom action...so what? Not a big deal. The barrel is the wonder-wand. Don't get me wrong, everything has to be true, and having a good gunsmith put it all together cannot be over-emphasized, but with a barrel comes the freedom to choose a chambering that'll do exactly what YOU want. If I were you, and I were thinking about shots between 300 and 1200, I'd be damned tempted to look at medium chamberings, like the quarter-bore, the 6.5, or even a 7mm. Most people think of magnums in that caliber, but Sierra's 130gr matching set in a case with about the 7-08's capacity would do nicely with a 29" barrel in a 1-11 or 1-12" twist. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Barrel life might be the main advantage there, although a good 6mm is tough to beat, also. The 243 is an all right cartridge, no doubt, but...I don't know how long your barrel would last if you shoot it A LOT [not long, if I recall chatting with Mr. Tubb on one occasion!--but High Power is a far cry, I suspect.] If you don't abuse it, it can be great <I've heard the improved version is the best route to take--less case stretching, and--for some reason--more consistant ballistics.>

The Twist rate for Weatherby's SVM in .243 is...1-10". Has a 26" barrel, #4 contour, and weighs...I think about 8.5lbs. They will shoot 1/2 MOA groups, minimum, from my experience. Brand new US dollars, probably looking at $1200. Now, if you can find a nice used action $200-300, barrel for $300-400, depending on what you do, stock for $400-700 <if you like fancy>, and some gunsmithing...you will have a tad more invested, but you will have the option of any chambering you wish, and possibly more accuracy. Touch call, huh? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That Sako is nice, but with such a short barrel, shooting heavy bullets with slow powders...well, I personally wouldn't like the outcome {I once shot a .264 WinMag that some lunatic had barrel-shortened to 22" <talk about senseless>; I was the biggest idiot of all for shooting it. It'd literally blow your hair back upon ignition!!} Don't think you'll have that problem with a .243, though.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 12-27-2002, 03:42 PM

Hey Zebra,

Where do the Aftermarket Synthetic stocks come from?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:09 PM

I agree with CYBRA 100%. The one problem with used rifles is the lefty issue - they are a bit harder to find. I purchased a Rem 700 LSS because I wanted a stainless action to match my stainless barrel. The smith beadblasted them and it looks great.

Synthetic Stocks - Mcmillian
http://www.mcmfamily.com/

Click on the link for Mcmillian Fiberglass stocks.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:31 PM

I'm not a lefty,,, not sure where that one came from...