Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Weatherby VS Sako

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: Weatherby VS Sako

Howdy Davo

Merry Christmas!

Does it have to be off the shelf? Have you considered something like a left bolt right port or right bolt left port. I have built a few of these on HS stocks with the HS detachable box magazines and guys love them.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:09 PM

The drag about being in Canada is we don't get s*&%t up here. Or should I say all we get is s&%t here. If the red tape between Canada and the US would end I would have one made, however... for now I'm left with off the shelf. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2002, 05:51 PM

Why cant you have one made?
I purchased an action from Prairie Gun Works and they are in canada?

I still say to go with the rem 700 (or 700 lss if you like stainless) and rebarrel.

Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:53 PM

Hey!

One here?

Who,what where.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

Hey, Davo

Yes, the restrictions between here and there are nothing short of a curious cross between humanic immaturity and poor efforts out of making useful friends when the opportunity is there. <Now you all know why I list as "not political" on Yahoo's personals....> [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ok, back to stuff that IS important! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hell with the politics, I'd much rather talk guns! The Sako would definitely not let you down. I have worked with a bunch of guns, but I can't recall hearing of an inaccurate Sako. {BTW: the reduction in velocity from 26" to 24" isn't enough to get excited about; what matters is load consistancy. The extra 50fps won't do sh*t until you get WAY out... The noise reduction can be noticable, though} Anymore, a lot of guns are accurate. But accuracy isn't all there is to the pie, is there? Hell, I know some guns that cost $500 off the shelf, and will shoot as accurately as some $2000 autoloaders [and, if someone doesn't know what they're do'n, a bolt gun!] BUT, there are of course things likely to be on that $2000 gun that may off-set. It really is a personal choice, but I can tell you that your selection is a good one. The barrel length, as you mentioned, is the pisser; I tend to favor barrel lengths [for shooting standing inparticular] of 26" to 28". The 6PPC project I am attempting now <some fellows on this site will be aware of that nonsense> is going to sport a 27" barrel, with some weird dimensional variations. One thing that MAY influence a person is the stocks that come on the Weatherby Accumarks; they're not bad, really, with those aluminum bedding blocks. Obviously being factory produced, they'll still have a little slop, to be expected, but they'll certainly do. If you feel inclined, a person can always glass the thing. It's a shame you don't want a .257; as I said, I have two, and one is a more-or-less new factory gun [Eurosport]. I love the caliber, but it isn't such a good choice for someone who's learning how to shoot and wants to shoot A LOT. However, I must like it enough, because I refuse to sell them both. As far as VarmintMaster over PerdatorMaster...the VarmintMaster is the heavier/better gun for longer range shooting. Depends on what you call "long range". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The best advice is this: Set a budget for MAX: now, find out how much a set of really good dies and components are going to cost. Price some used but FINE glass. Subtract that from the total, and that's the gun you're stuck with!! <just like getting married!> [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 12-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

Oh, and as a depressing side-note, I think the SVM that Weatherby puts out in .223 and .22-250 both have 1-14" twists. This is fabulous for 100 yards and 45-52gr pills, but pops the pelican with regards to long range'n. <hands up> On the flip side, they all sport 26" barrels, according to my lititure. So, if a .243 is on the agenda...
Old 12-26-2002, 12:43 AM

I reduce the field to Weatherby and Sako because..
S1
1. I own a Finnlight -06 and it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with a 20" barrel.
2. My friend had a Weaterhby SVM in .308 and it was also a very good shooter.

I really want a 26"-28" heavy barrel in .243 with a synthetic stock and a detachable mag. I have to give up the mag on the Weatherby and give up a synthetic stock and 2" on the Sako. I can't find anything else to fit the bill!!

Great info Cybra, thanks,

I am moving toward the SAKO but the shorter barrel doesn't motivate me enough...

Merry Ho-Ho

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: Davo ]