Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Weatherby Vanguard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard

Well yeah, you have to start somewhere.
But get a Remington or Savage and don't throw your money away on a Howa with Weatherbys name on it.

I mean, if you can't afford a real Weatherby, save your money until you can, if that's what you want. That's a "wannabe" move to buy the copy.
Sheesh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]..sakofan..OUT!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:25 AM

I've heard both good and bad experiences with the Vanguard. Chuck Hawks wrote a positive article on this rifle. I have only had experiences with (1) Vanguard in 300WM, and I couldn't get the groups as tight as I wanted them, so I sold it. I'm a bit picky that way...If it were me, I'd rather purchase a Remington or Winchester.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I know this comes as a shock to some, but not everybody is ready or able to forkout thousands of dollars for a hunten rig! That sure doesn't allow me to belittle another shooters gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's start over.

To all the folks that own and like their Vanguards...God bless you.
My previous posts were in NO way meant to "belittle" someone's choice in shooting gear, whether it was based on budget or because you just like the darn thing. You don't owe me or any one else an explaination.

As for me, I'll stick with other brand names of firearms, thank you.

The whole "I own a big time, big name hunting rifle" thing, only to pull a Vanguard/Howa/Weatherby out of the rifle case is absurd IMO. AGAIN....YMMV....sakofan..
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

I have a friend who has several Howa actions with Pac/Nor barrels on them and they shoot really well,he also has several Mark5's and some SAko's, he had trouble keeping the stock on the Sako TRG (or some letter configuration like that). There are or can be problems with any brand I had rather impress someone with a small group than a brand name.Sako fan I have a 270 WBY on a Sako action that will
shoot sub-min a really slick action and strong as well,it has a douglas air-ga barrel.You don't have to spend megabucks to have a good shooter if you did I couldn't play!Magnum Dude you may want to get a Howa action and get Kirby or one of the other Smiths to barrel it for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sako fan I have a 270 WBY on a Sako action that will
shoot sub-min a really slick action and strong as well,it has a douglas air-ga barrel.You don't have to spend megabucks to have a good shooter if you did I couldn't play!

[/ QUOTE ]

NEVER said you had to pay big bucks to get a rifle to shoot!! I said the Vanguard sucks!!! That's all I said!!

I also recommended a Remington or Savage. Not what I would call a BIG dollar rifle...sakofan.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

I do get a charge out of the idea that the Vanguard can't be as good as the Mark V when they both have been made by the Howa Machinery Co., Ltd of Nagoya, Japan for the past 35 years or so! I want all to know that I do not own anything made by Howa, but that does not mean that I don't think they make anything that is of poor quality or of poor design and they don't use good material or lack state of the art manufactoring process. Cause that just ain't so. Fact of the matter is No American or European makers can rival the Japs in CnC equipment. I just wish I could afford Okuma mills and lathes. Does any of this make me happy, that we come no where close to being as good? Heck no! But this is a fact and does not change the reality. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Magnumdude,
I have only shot one of the wthby/howa rifles, but i have shot a few of the howa rifles that they are putting out in their own name. If you like the howa, you might take a look at their own line. They aren't much more expensive, and they have a variety of laminate stocks from boyds avalable, if you are into wood (like me). I don't know if the ones I have shot would run with my savage, but one of the BBl .223s I shot would keep it on a penny at 100.