Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Which Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Which Weatherby

To be perfectly hones, i doubt that there is an accumark, a mk 5 or any other weatherby that will handle as well, shoot as well or be a better value for money thanthe weatherby vanguard. the vanguard is one of the best īkept secrets in big game rifles. Its the same stick as the Howa 1500, colt something or other and the RWS 89.
I usedto have one in 300win mag,it was a one ragged holerat 100m, it was an excellent rifle, i sold it because i couldn't find a synthetic stock for it at the time, ive been kicking my self ever since.
Pete
Old 02-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Victor, I might be wrong(someone correct me if I am), but I believe that your custom outfitter rifle actually has a Krieger barrel on it where as the other mark v rifles that are not from the custom shop have the Criterion barrel, which is a little different (at least that is what one of the guys in the custom shop told me, even though their website says otherwise). Victor, if you are not shy of a hard pushing rifle, go with the lighweight, you are only going to be shooting it MAYBE, 2-3 times at an animal on a given hunt. If you are going to hunt paper and targets more often, then I would get the accumark. My accumark seems heavy enough to handle the paper, but light enough to carry through the woods and swamp.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry for posting this but...I have never, ever, ever seen a WBY Ultralight shoot well in 300 WBY MAG chambering. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Others yes but not the 300 WBY.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

POP,
You may have never seen a lightweight in 300 shoot well, but mine sure does. It produces great groups at the range and has proved itself more than once on game. I don't know that it would be the barrel as Weatherby's website says the Custom Outfitter has the Krieger Criterion which I believe is the same as the Ultralightweight. In any case, from my experience I would recommend this gun without reservation as long as the shooter can stand the recoil to get used to shooting it off the bench.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
POP,
You may have never seen a lightweight in 300 shoot well, but mine sure does. It produces great groups at the range and has proved itself more than once on game. I don't know that it would be the barrel as Weatherby's website says the Custom Outfitter has the Krieger Criterion which I believe is the same as the Ultralightweight. In any case, from my experience I would recommend this gun without reservation as long as the shooter can stand the recoil to get used to shooting it off the bench.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly I think you got lucky! My buddy had one and we spend 5 months truing to get it to shoot. We used Partitions, Grooves, Northforks and a plethora of other bullets...nothing...nada...zilts! This was the one with the Krieger BBL on it (the desert tan flavor stock and black barrel). Additionally I have other people on other boards who report the same findings as me. This is the reason why my buddy and I both got SAKO 75 Mine in the RUM flavor and him in the 300 WBY. Both are extremely accurate! Now all that said if I ever see a 300 WBY Ultralight for sale that will shoot MOA or less I will buy it on the spot! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry, it's not for sale...and I will disappoint you by saying that sub-MOA accuracy has seemed to come relatively easily to this gun. I will admit there are bullets that it really doesn't like though. It groups factory 165gr Ballistic Tips quite well. That is my woodchuck ammo to practice up for the fall and produce some good reloading brass. My pet loads are all with the Swift Scirroco bullets. Those are the favorite so far. I put some Lost River factory ammo through it and that didn't shoot at all. I was considering ordering some LRB bullets until I saw how well the Swifts did (and how magnificent they were on big game). I also tried some Sierras or something that my dad had laying around and they were pretty poor also. It is not the easiest gun I have ever tried to find accurate loads for but it is far from the hardest.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

I just remembered, when I was developing loads early on in this gun, I did do one other thing to it. I noticed the accuracy was decent but sensitive to barrel heat. I had the gun apart for a thorough cleaning and noticed that the fore end of the stock was contacting the barrel with some pressure. I did some extensive work with sandpaper to freefloat it and the accuracy improved dramatically.