Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Which Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Which Weatherby

Hi Guys,
I'm in the market for a light weight rifle for elk hunting. I am a big fan of the .300Wby cartridge and this is the one I want to get. My delima is Which Wby model do I get. The Wby Ultra Light-weight at 6 3/4lbs or the Accumark at 8 3/4lbs.
The Light weight has a No. 2 special contour barrel that looks pretty thin to me. The Accumark has a No. 3 heavy contour barrel that looks just right but, is heavy to lug around all day in mountainous country.

I sure would like to know if any of you good folk out there have shot either of these rifles and what they group like. Accuracey is of the utmost importance. But then so is getting an elk, which requires hiking up into their domain.

If anybody has pics of actual targets with measurements that sure would weed out opinion and leave behind a lot of fact.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Vic
Old 12-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which Weatherby

I shoot an accumark in 300 wby and it groups well (less than 1 MOA with handloads). I actually had a target I shot the other day, but it got thrown away when it blew across the yard. If I can find it, I will take a picture of it and post it. I know that the rocoil in my accumark is somewhat stout, but it is not a pain to shoot. The lightweight, being 2 lbs lighter, may get a little harsh when chambered in 300 wby. I am not bothered by 2 pounds.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:46 AM
Bronze Member

Victor,

I shot an Accumark in .300 Win and it was a gem of a rifle. The .300 Weatherby will recoil more but I'd imagine it to be tolerable in that rifle.

I'm with Christopher; the two pounds don't bother me...as yet! I'd rather know that I can comfortably shoot the rifle well.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Not trying to stir up a $%^&* storm - but how does that price compare to what I'm doing? Get a 300 RUM and have a smith put on a 30" heavy Lilja barrel (in my case 1:12 twist as I'm shooting 155 & 168 gr), trigger job & Holland QD brake. I should have a sub 1/2 MOA gun with the right loads - and a chamber made for what I want to shoot. 300 RUMS are only $550 and used ones are dirt cheap (if you're getting a new barrel why buy new?)

See my 300 RUM ballistics charts on my site:
ricka's cool site
Old 12-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

victor, from your post it sounds like you are going to be walking a lot. Sure, b1g b0res gun will be a nice rifle, but I do not know if I want to try to lug a rifle around all day with a 30 inch boom on it. From the bench, or a set up that requries little walking, it is an excellent idea. I am pleased with my accumark and would not worry about the two extra pounds. I cannot find that target that I shot the otherday, but I will keep looking for an old one that I might have lying around.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate all your comments and insight. However, I'm still undecided. I will drive some long distances this weekend to go handle some of these rifles first hand. I wish more stores had these guns in stock. They seem hard to find on shelves.
So far everybody seems to be rooting for the Accumark. Anybody shot the Ultra lightweight?

When I purchase one of these guns, I will write a report and post some targets.

Best Regards,
Vic
Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 PM

Just my opinion but I when I switched to a WBY round (.30-378) I started looking at the Weatherby rifles plus other rifles that shot the .30-378 round. I found a Weatherby and a Sako. A good friend, who also worked in a sporting good store, told me this, "The Weatherby costs twice as much but the Sako is twice the rifle." To be fair, the Weatherby was top of the line stainless, fluted (high end)while the Sako was a TRG with eveything black (low end). I ended up getting the sako. I have shot 2 deer and 1 elk and they were all 1 shot harvests!